Following his WWE release, Tom Phillips has opened up about the relationships and competitive natures of WWE announcers.
Before being replaced by Adnan Virk shortly after WrestleMania 37, Phillips was the lead play-by-play commentator on Raw. According to Phillips, competition between WWE commentators was healthy.
Speaking on the Sports Media podcast with Richard Deitsch, Phillips noted that he often felt he had to up his game when watching more experienced announcers.
Stating that he always wanted to improve, Phillips said:
“It depends on what your relationships are like. There were times where I felt competition with other play-by-play announcers over the years. There were times when I felt competition with people who weren’t at my position because I could see how good they were. I thought, ‘I have to up my game because if they’re doing X and I’m doing Y, it’s not elevating the product and I have to be at that level.’
“I can honestly say, when I was there, the comrade among the announce team was fantastic. It always felt like you were in the foxhole with someone who had your back and that was the entire crew and production team. The competition, I found to be healthy. I wanted to be as good as the person sitting next to me. I’m trying to get better every week.”
Quote via Fightful.
- New Edge (Adam Copeland) AEW Nicknames Revealed?
- WWE Raw Match Cancelled Due To Top Star Not Being Cleared
- Rhea Ripley Gives Ultimatum To Dominik Mysterio After Losing Championship
- Jade Cargill Sends Message To WWE Roster During Raw
- Another Advertised WWE Raw Match Cancelled?
- Clarification On Bryan Danielson AEW Collision Role
- Fans Think They Spotted A CM Punk Tease During WWE Raw
- Johnny Gargano & Tommaso Ciampa Comment After DIY Reunion On WWE Raw
- WWE Star Returns On Raw After Five Months Away
- USA Network Spoils Upcoming WWE Debut