Two top NXT stars may be on their way up to the main roster, as they wrestled in a dark match prior to tonight’s (January 7) episode of SmackDown.
The match pit former NXT Champion Tommaso Ciampa, just three days after losing his title to Bron Breakker at NXT New Year’s Evil, take on Pete Dunne.
NXT stars worked dark matches prior to main roster shows last year, where they were used as ‘tryout’ matches for a potential main roster callup.
Ciampa was victorious in what was apparently a great match, with Dunne entering to an old version of his theme song.
— Graham "GSM" Matthews (@WrestleRant) January 8, 2022
- Another Reason Matt Riddle Had Heat With WWE Management Revealed
- Which Released WWE Stars IMPACT Wrestling Is Reportedly Interested In Revealed
- WWE Star Was ‘Late’ Addition To Recent Release List
- Promotions Interested In Matt Riddle After WWE Release Revealed
- Another Huge Update On Edge’s WWE Future
- WWE Airs Hype Video For Jade Cargill On SmackDown
- Professional Wrestling Term Added To Merriam-Webster Dictionary
- WWE Star’s ‘Outside Commitments’ Causing Management To ‘Figure Things Out’
- AEW Star Sets Sights On Miley Cyrus For WrestleDream
- NXT Star Told He’s Not Ready For WWE Main Roster