Former ROH star Tony Deppen revealed that AEW pulled him from a segment with Wardlow in May.
On the May 4 edition of AEW Dynamite, Wardlow defeated W. Morrissey and then beat down security team members in an attempt to get to MJF.
Speaking with Ringsiders Wrestling, Deppen revealed that he was originally scheduled to be one of the security guards.
I like what it does [AEW Dark] because it gives wrestlers the opportunity to make money and stuff like that but also, some wrestlers need to really cut back on it too because eventually, you will devalue yourself being there every week losing in a minute. If you’re there once a month and you get like a five, six minute match and you can actually showcase, yeah, that’s different. But if you’re there every week and you’re getting squashed out, I think it devalues you as a wrestler and I don’t care about the run-ins, like when Wardlow would beat people up, I don’t feel like that devalues you but… yeah.
When I did AEW in Baltimore, I was supposed to do the run-in with Wardlow as well and you know, Baltimore, that’s prime Ring of Honor territory. Everyone knows me there and I did my match and I got in the back and the extra coordinator pulled me to the side, he’s like, ‘You’re not going out there for that.’ I go, ‘Why?’ He’s just like, ‘We don’t wanna hurt you.’ He’s like, ‘Everybody knows who you are out there…’ They didn’t want me to get hurt as an a — my value I guess, which I understand that but also in the same sense, I’m like yo, I would have got an extra payday.
Tony Deppen spent much of 2021 in Ring of Honor, winning the ROH World Television Championship. He lost to John Silver on the May 9 edition of AEW Dark.
Keep track of the current AEW roster’s win-loss record in 2022 (for televised matches) at this link.
Quotes via POST Wrestling
- ‘A Lot Of Concern’ Over Randy Orton Injury
- Report: Bandido Offered AEW Contract Following September 28 Dynamite
- Several WWE Stars Missing SmackDown Due To Hurricane Ian
- AEW Facing ‘Brutal’ Live Show Ticket Sales
- Young Bucks & Kenny Omega ‘Haven’t Heard Anything’ About AEW Return
- Brock Lesnar WWE Return Date Revealed?
- VICE TV Vince McMahon Documentary To Cover WWE Departure
- Antonio Inoki Passes Away Aged 79
- Rush Officially Signs With AEW
- Here’s Everyone Chris Jericho Could Face For The ROH Title