Tony Khan has spoken in an interview about the possibility of WWE signing wrestlers who have previously appeared on AEW programming.
In an hour-long interview with Ariel Helwani following Wednesday’s (October 5) AEW Dynamite, Khan spoke about his thoughts on the new direction for WWE since Vince McMahon resigned.
Speaking about WWE’s future, Khan speculated:
“(It’s) probably a bit more similarity (between the companies) in what we are looking for in the profile of a free agent… it’s probably going to start being a thing.”
Khan said that he believes that many of the past few years’ WWE releases would not have happened in a post-Vince McMahon world, and as such both companies will now how a similar profile in terms of who they are looking to sign.
He also said of AEW Dark:
“(AEW Dark was) at one point, the premiere tryout system in America. Plenty of people will tell you WWE was recruiting off AEW Dark during the pandemic. If anyone tells you that’s not true, ok, you’re full of s**t.”
Several members of the NXT roster had worked AEW Dark tapings before being signed by WWE.
Khan also spoke about his relationship with WWE management, saying that prior to founding AEW he was friends with Paul Levesque (Triple H) and Stephanie McMahon.
Quotes courtesy of F4WOnline.
Check out WrestleShop.com for all your favorite WrestleTalk merch, the WrestleTalk Magazine, wrestling shirts for grown-ups, and more!
- WWE Star Slammed For Being A ‘Disrespectful Ripoff’
- WWE Hall Of Famer Criticizes ‘Childish Stuff’ From The Elite
- WWE Spoils Return, AEW Stars Considering Leaving, CM Punk Scrapped Plans Revealed – News Bulletin – November 30, 2022
- Tony Khan Announces Newest AEW Signing
- Ric Flair Calls Fellow WWE Hall Of Famer ‘An Arrogant Prick’
- Vince McMahon’s Reaction To WWE Spending $30,000 On Crazy Purchase
- NXT Star Shocks Fans Calling Fellow Star ‘C*nty’
- The Undertaker Says Current WWE Star Has ‘Never Been A Bigger Star’
- The Usos Hit Another Insane WWE Milestone
- Tony Khan Open To This WWE Hall Of Famer Wrestling For AEW