AEW President Tony Khan has revealed whether or not he plans for Forbidden Door to become an annual event.
On June 26, AEW and NJPW stars will wrestle on a crossover show at the United Center in Chicago, Illinois.
Speaking with Comicbook.com, Tony Khan explained how creative plans for AEW and NJPW crossover matches came together, noting:
So, Gedo and I, generally anything that involves AEW & New Japan, I think we’re both going to have to agree on what the matchup is, and what the ideas are for the show. And in general, that’s what we’ve been doing for over a year now. And it’s worked really well.
“It started with AEW wrestlers going there and I had some thoughts and ideas about what they should or shouldn’t be doing. And then New Japan started sending wrestlers here later in 2021, and for over a year, the Forbidden Door has gone both ways with wrestlers coming in from both companies and out and working for each other.
“So it is different when we’re working together like this and it’s been a great collaboration for a long time now with AEW and New Japan, and I like working with Gedo.”
While there has been no official confirmation, it has been teased that the June 26 Forbidden Door show will be the first in a series of AEW x NJPW crossover events.
When asked whether Forbidden Door itself will be an annual event, Khan said:
“Yeah. I think we are hoping that’s what it’ll become.”
AEW will crown two new champions at the event, with Jon Moxley and Hiroshi Tanahashi set to face off for the Interim World Title, and a fourway scheduled to determine the inaugural All-Atlantic Champion.
For more details on AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door, click here.
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- Report: How ‘Majority’ Of AEW Roster Feel Toward CM Punk Revealed
- Former AEW TNT Champion Considering A WWE Move?
- Report: WWE To Introduce New Championship Belt ‘Soon’
- Potential Spoiler On Change To WrestleMania 39 Match
- Next WWE Hall Of Fame 2023 Inductee Announced
- AEW Name Opens Up About Training Action Star’s Daughter
- Major Change Confirmed For WrestleMania 39 Match
- What Happened In Cody Rhodes’ Massive Pre-WrestleMania Match Against Solo Sikoa
- Vince McMahon Era Rule ‘Effectively Dead’ Under Triple H
- Former WWE Star Announces Retirement