CM Punk and Eddie Kingston went to war on last night’s (November 13) AEW Full Gear pay-per-view, with Punk picking up the victory with a GTS.
An interesting takeaway from the match is that, for the first time since his historic return back on August 20, CM Punk was booed by the AEW fans during the match, who were solidly behind Kingston.
AEW President Tony Khan spoke about the match on the post-show media scrum, where he compared the situation Punk was in last night to the one the Rock was in back in 2002 at the Skydome.
“I remember being the only person out of 70,000 cheering for The Rock in Toronto. My friend looked over me like, ‘what are you doing?’ And I was like, ‘somebody has to.’ And that’s how I felt about Punk getting booed tonight (vs. Kingston). There were way, way, way more Punk people tonight than there were Rock people in Toronto, though. I can attest as I was there for both shows. I’ve seen what it’s like when someone makes the choice in the building.”
Tony Khan was then asked if AEW had any plans to come to Canada for a show. Khan explained that he would love to, before saying he was particularly biased to one city.
“I would love to come to Canada. There are a number of great wrestling cities all across Canada. It’s a great country for wrestling. I have so much respect for so many Canadian wrestlers from different cities. I’m very biased towards Toronto, because my father owns a Four Seasons Hotel there.”
transcription via Wrestling Inc
- Spoiler On Karrion Kross WWE SmackDown Presentation
- Roman Reigns Status For WWE Extreme Rules Revealed
- What Does WBD Taking Over BT Sport Mean For WWE & AEW In The UK?
- Report: ‘A Lot Of Uneasiness’ Backstage In NXT UK
- Dave Meltzer Awards Latest 5.5 Star Match
- Spoiler For Planned Return On August 12 SmackDown
- Update On Cody Rhodes Surgery & WWE Absence
- Carmelo Hayes Teases Joining Returning Faction On SmackDown
- Drew McIntyre Teases Huge Change For Clash At The Castle
- Update On How Many Returns Triple H Has Planned