Tony Khan has commented on the last 30 minutes of SmackDown, which are set to clash with AEW Rampage, being advertised as commercial free.
Advertisements on FOX have indicated that the part of Friday’s SmackDown set to air at the same time as the AEW show will run uninterrupted.
Speaking to the New York Post, Khan stated that he is also in the financial position to have the ability to remove commercials from his shows. Arguing that he could afford to do so longer than WWE could, Khan said:
“It’s a little bit different than the Wednesday Night Wars because that was from the very beginning of Dynamite, and we put our head down and it was an every-week thing. This seemed like pretty predatory, which is fine if that’s how you want to play it.
“It’s not outwardly how they’ve (WWE) shown they wanted to play it. I’ve coined a phrase which is WYW, watch your wrestling. Whatever people what to watch, I want them to watch it. Unfortunately, if we are on at the same time, it’s harder for people to watch their wrestling, at least live.
“We can take the commercials out of it. If you want to take the commercials out of it, I can do that too. It doesn’t seem very civil, but I have more money than they do, so I can afford to do that longer than they can. But that’s how we make money at the end of the day, so I was surprised when they took those out.”
Tony Khan has also announced a Buy In that will air on YouTube before Rampage, and while SmackDown is on the air. Former WWE Champion Bryan Danielson will do battle with Minoru Suzuki on the free show.
The AEW President had previously taken to social media to state that he ‘can’t wait’ for Rampage to beat SmackDown in the ratings.
- Hit Row Return On WWE SmackDown
- Tony Khan Officially Announces Parker Boudreaux Is All Elite
- Tyson Fury Announces Retirement From Boxing
- Karrion Kross References Release In Promo On SmackDown
- Swerve Strickland Reacts To Hit Row WWE Return On SmackDown
- Talent Believe The WWE Draft Is Coming After Clash At The Castle
- Another Legal Update On Jeff Hardy DUI Case
- Former WWE Referee Scott Armstrong Appears On IMPACT Emergence
- NJPW G1 Climax 32 Night 16 Results
- Vince McMahon Planned On Burying Gunther Following July 4 Raw