AEW President and CEO Tony Khan has praised Sting, stating that the WWE Hall of Famer has proven himself as a star of today.
Sting signed with AEW in late 2020, following an appearance on AEW Dynamite. Tony Khan has now said that he doesn’t know how any promotion could “screw it up” with Sting.
Speaking on Barstool Rasslin‘, Khan pointed out that The Icon would be a key player for any wrestling promotion in the world. Mentioning Sting’s AEW matches, Khan said:
“Sting, who is very much a star of today… I’ll be honest, I don’t know how you could screw it up with Sting. I’ve been working with Sting now for the last seven months. This is the easiest, greatest man that I have ever known. And he wanted to work! He wasn’t looking for a $20 bajillion either, I’ll be honest with you. He would be very useful to any wrestling company in the world, and he wanted to do stuff.
“And he’s at T.V. every week! He’s a huge part of our roster. So, I count him as a star of the present. Sting hadn’t wrestled a match in many years and this year he came back and wrestled two great matches and two very different kinds (of matches). He’s very much proved he’s still a star of the present.”
Prior to joining AEW, Sting’s last match was against Seth Rollins at WWE Night of Champions 2015. The WCW legend has wrestled twice for AEW, most recently at Double or Nothing alongside Darby Allin.
Khan recently took a less-subtle jab at Vince Russo, saying that Russo made WWE “10 times worse”. The AEW president has also commented on the WWE ThunderDome, revealing why AEW didn’t build a similar video wall.
Quote via Wrestling Inc.
- Major WWE Target To Become Free Agent In January 2024
- WWE Star Teases Potential Free Agent Target
- WWE Creative Plans Changed For Two Stars Due To ‘Tremendous Support’ Backstage
- Big Departure From AEW Confirmed
- Braun Strowman WWE Status Update After Serious Neck Surgery
- WWE Star Makes In-Ring Return After Reported Concussion
- Absent WWE Star Has First Match In Several Months
- Video Footage Of Fan Jumping Barricade To Confront WWE Star At Untelevised Event
- Big Update On WWE 2K24 Release Plans
- WWE Star Reacts To Fan Jumping Barricade At Live Event