In AEW’s short history, the company has had little-to-no disqualification or countout finishes to their matches.
AEW President Tony Khan recently spoke to The Way of the Blade podcast, Khan explained his dislike for non-finishes, saying he likes his finishes to be conclusive. Khan said:
“Count-out finishes aren’t always popular. For me as a promoter, you can count on one hand the number of count-out and disqualification finishes that I’ve done. I really like doing conclusive finishes, but I definitely think a count-out is a much more conclusive finish than a disqualification. Sometimes, there’s a storyline reason for both, but ultimately, it often feels unsatisfying.”
Khan continued on, admitting that he feels like he probably underutilizes non-finishes, but doesn’t want to let people ‘off the hook’ for relying on them too much. He said:
“I will not let people off the hook for this could I feel like half the matches on the show are like a disqualification and it’s been that way my whole life (with) multiple promotions on television. Really, the competitive promotions on television. Such a large percentage of their matches ended in a disqualification. I found it very unsatisfying. Instead, you watch ECW or All-Japan, and there are a lot more finishes and maybe the happy medium is (something like) Smoky Mountain (Wrestling) was a very well booked promotion. I have no problem with doing it. Sometimes, I probably underdo them (to the point) where you never see them, but when we do them, they really do make sense.”
Tony Khan and AEW are reportedly very concerned about the rising COVID-19 cases affecting their planned shows in Chicago and New York.
transcription via Fightful
- Another Big Sign Released Star Returning To WWE
- Several WWE Stars Pulled From Indie Event
- Kazuchika Okada & Jay White Announced For Trios Bout Ahead Of NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 17
- AEW Star Wishes CM Punk & The Elite Situation ‘Didn’t Happen’
- Top NJPW Star Explains Why Co-Promotional Event With STARDOM Should Happen ‘Every Once In A While’
- WWE Stars Honor Late TV Star Jason David Frank
- AEW Star Praises Ricky ‘The Dragon’ Steamboat After Return Match
- Bayley Recruits Recent Celebrity WWE Signee to Damage CTRL?
- Correction On William Regal AEW Contract Status
- Latest On Sasha Banks WWE Contract Negotiations