They may have started off on the wrong foot, but Chris Jericho has recently revealed the moment when Triple H won his respect.
Speaking on his Talk is Jericho podcast, Jericho reflected on the WWF Tag Team Championship match in which he and Chris Benoit won the title from Triple H and Stone Cold Steve Austin.
The title change took place on the May 21 2001 episode of WWE Raw and would see Triple H suffer a serious injury, tearing his quadriceps.
Remembering the match, Jericho said:
“The finish of the match was going to be that a bunch of different things happen.
“I end up hitting Austin with the Lionsault, Triple H comes in with a sledgehammer, I move, he hits Austin with the sledgehammer, I take Triple H out, Benoit does a diving head butt, 1-2-3, we win, and this was going to be our coronation to the next level.”
The injury, however, would derail the plan, with Jericho saying:
“Suddenly he’s gone.
“And when that happens, you know ‘uh oh, something’s not right here,’ because these are four pros amongst pros, you don’t forget spots or you don’t do stuff.
“I went onto the floor and he’s just laying there, not even screaming, he’s there saying like, ‘I think I tore my quad.’
“And I was like, ‘What?!’”
With Jericho taking a moment to as Triple H if he still wanted to take the Walls of Jericho, he recalls:
“I remember turning him over onto this table and just hearing this “Ahh!” – this real grunt of true pain.”
It was this moment that gave Jericho a new insight into Triple H and his character, saying:
“I am not Triple H’s biggest fan, but this guy earned my eternal respect by just how tough he was to go through that.”
They completed the match, but it would be revealed that the injury would sideline Triple H for six months.
Transcript from Wrestling Inc.
Check out WrestleShop.com for all your favorite WrestleTalk merch, the WrestleTalk Magazine, wrestling shirts for grown-ups, and more!
- WWE Backstage Reaction To Edge (Adam Copeland) Departure & AEW Debut
- Edge (Adam Copeland) Explains Why He Left WWE To Join AEW
- Edge (Adam Copeland) Expected To ‘Fill The Gap’ CM Punk Left In AEW?
- Christian Cage Comments On Edge (Adam Copeland) Joining AEW
- WWE Raw Match Cancelled Due To Top Star Not Being Cleared
- New Edge (Adam Copeland) AEW Nicknames Revealed?
- Adam Copeland (Edge) Comments On Wife Beth Phoenix Potentially Joining Him In AEW
- Why Edge (Adam Copeland) Can Use ‘Metalingus’ WWE Theme In AEW
- Rhea Ripley Gives Ultimatum To Dominik Mysterio After Losing Championship
- Clarification On Bryan Danielson AEW Collision Role