The weeks of White Rabbit mysteries in WWE came to an end back at Extreme Rules, when Bray Wyatt was revealed as the culprit behind the phenomenon, making an incredible return to close out the show.
The White Rabbit craze was something that those within WWE were tight-lipped on for it’s entire lifespan, with some in WWE believing it to be for Bray, but had no official confirmation.
The craze began when WWE was playing the vocals to the song White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane during live events and commercial breaks, before the first QR Code appeared on screen behind Austin Theory on the September 19 episode of Raw. The QR Codes continued to creep up on WWE television, culminating in Wyatt’s epic return at Extreme Rules.
The mysteries were the work of Triple H, new head of long term creative Rob Fee, and of course Windham Rotunda himself. Triple H spoke to The Wrap, where he discussed the White Rabbit craze, and how WWE used social media to spread the mystery.
“We asked ourselves how we could bring back Bray Wyatt in the most engaging way possible. So we created ‘The White Rabbit Project,’ intended to lead our audience down this literal rabbit hole of content to help build anticipation for Wyatt’s return at ‘Extreme Rules’ on Peacock. It started with flickering lights in arenas and continued with the release of other easter eggs, like hidden QR codes within episodes of ‘SmackDown’ and ‘Raw’ that led viewers to more clues that kept them guessing, and tuning in, each week. It culminated in what we believe was a massive pay-off for our fans – and for WWE. This is a great example of how WWE is uniquely positioned as a sports and entertainment property to harness the power of our shows and our social following to develop multimedia, long-term storytelling that can help produce meaningful aggregated audiences.”
Wyatt made his return to SmackDown on the October 14 episode of the show, where he cut an out of character heartfelt promo, before a creepy video appeared on the screen that left us with more questions than answers.
Check out WrestleShop.com for all your favorite WrestleTalk merch, the WrestleTalk Magazine, wrestling shirts for grown-ups, and more!
- PHOTO: First Look At Vince McMahon’s ‘Creepy Mustache’
- Update On Major WWE Return Rumored For WrestleMania 39
- WWE Main Roster Star Causes Major Title Change At NXT Stand & Deliver
- WrestleMania 39 Night One Main Event Revealed
- Big News On What Vince McMahon Was Doing At WrestleMania 39
- Big Spoiler On Plans For Rey Mysterio Vs. Dominik Mysterio At WrestleMania 39
- Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn Capture Undisputed WWE Tag Team Championship
- Confirmation On Bobby Lashley’s WrestleMania 39 Status?
- WWE Star Thinks Bobby Lashley WrestleMania 39 Situation Is ‘Inexcusable’
- Tony Khan Says Former WWE Star In ROH Is ‘Never Going To Happen’