AEW President Tony Khan has provided an update on the possibility of AEW venturing into streaming.
Well before the WarnerMedia-Discovery merger, fans called for AEW to launch a streaming service with access to the company’s back catalogue. More fans have called for this since Khan’s acquisition of ROH, with many wanting to re-watch previous shows from both promotions on the same platform.
Speaking on the Sports Media Podcast with Richard Deitsch, Tony Khan confirmed that AEW is in talks with WarnerMedia-Discovery about AEW streaming following the merger, noting that talks are ongoing.
“There’s a lot of potential for us to expand our business into streaming … especially with the new company that’s emerged post-merger with Warner Bros. Discovery being so strong in streaming and having exciting plans going forward.
“That’s something we’re continuing to talk to them about, and I’m very fortunate to work with such a big company where hopefully we can explore that … We’ve put together hundreds of hours of great footage and had the ability to produce so much great content on a weekly basis, in addition to what’s on TNT and TBS every Wednesday and every Friday.”
There had been concern within the fanbase that the WarnerMedia-Discovery might not want wrestling content on its networks post-merger. Brett Weitz, the General Manager of TBS, TNT and TruTV, who played a big part in the growth of AEW, is currently in the process of leaving his position.
An NBCUniversal executive recently touted AEW as a potential contributor to a streaming partner, which you can read more about right here.
Transcription via Wrestling Inc.
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- WWE Announces Nine New Signings
- How Many Tickets CM Punk Immediately Moved For AEW Collision In Chicago
- AEW Getting ‘More Aggressive’ In Major Stars’ Contract Negotiations
- Arena Shut Down ‘A Lot’ Of Ideas For AEW Double Or Nothing
- Update On Ace Steel’s Involvement In CM Punk-Led AEW Collision
- AEW’s Tay Melo Addresses In-Ring Future After Announcing Pregnancy
- WWE Venue Contracts Reportedly Have Interesting AEW Clauses
- Two AEW Stars Returning From Injury Soon
- Popular Faction To Reunite On SmackDown?
- Update On Drew McIntyre Amid Ongoing WWE Absence