AEW President Tony Khan has provided an update on the possibility of AEW venturing into streaming.
Well before the WarnerMedia-Discovery merger, fans called for AEW to launch a streaming service with access to the company’s back catalogue. More fans have called for this since Khan’s acquisition of ROH, with many wanting to re-watch previous shows from both promotions on the same platform.
Speaking on the Sports Media Podcast with Richard Deitsch, Tony Khan confirmed that AEW is in talks with WarnerMedia-Discovery about AEW streaming following the merger, noting that talks are ongoing.
“There’s a lot of potential for us to expand our business into streaming … especially with the new company that’s emerged post-merger with Warner Bros. Discovery being so strong in streaming and having exciting plans going forward.
“That’s something we’re continuing to talk to them about, and I’m very fortunate to work with such a big company where hopefully we can explore that … We’ve put together hundreds of hours of great footage and had the ability to produce so much great content on a weekly basis, in addition to what’s on TNT and TBS every Wednesday and every Friday.”
There had been concern within the fanbase that the WarnerMedia-Discovery might not want wrestling content on its networks post-merger. Brett Weitz, the General Manager of TBS, TNT and TruTV, who played a big part in the growth of AEW, is currently in the process of leaving his position.
An NBCUniversal executive recently touted AEW as a potential contributor to a streaming partner, which you can read more about right here.
Transcription via Wrestling Inc.
- AEW X NJPW Live Results Forbidden Door
- Kenny Omega Says Fans Will Be ‘Very Happy’ With Bryan Danielson Forbidden Door Replacement
- Report: Several ‘Under The Radar’ AEW Agreements Have Expired
- Kenny Omega Confirms Cody Rhodes Will Be In The AEW Video Game
- More AEW Stars Dealing With Injuries?
- Huge Spoiler On Bryan Danielson Forbidden Door Replacement
- New Ring Of Honor Logo Leaked?
- Claudio Castagnoli Makes AEW Debut At Forbidden Door
- Orange Cassidy Set To Debut New Licensed Theme Song
- Nature Of Jungle Boy Injury Revealed