AEW announcer Jim Ross has provided an update on CM Punk’s condition, following his recent return.
Following the main event of the August 10 edition of Dynamite, the AEW World Champion made his TV return to confront interim World Champion Jon Moxley.
Punk had been out of action since early June due to a foot injury that required surgery.
Speaking on his Grillin’ JR podcast (via AdFreeShows.com), Ross noted that nobody backstage knew whether Punk was actually cleared to compete at that point.
Believing that Punk will be ready to wrestle Jon Moxley in a title vs title bout, JR said:
“I knew he was in the building. I saw him briefly earlier in the day in the trainer’s room getting some attention for him. He sure has been missed. There’s no doubt about it. I think the crowd’s reaction would indicate the same. They’re ready to see him.”
“I still don’t know how healthy the guy is. I asked on air if he’s been cleared to wrestle, and nobody knew. I know he will be cleared and I know that he’s under good doctor’s care.
“This process has been ongoing. He’s still in the process of healing as far as I’m concerned until I get word that he’s 100%. I’m going to play it by ear. What else do you do?
“Punk is a tough guy. Everybody wants to see him and Moxley beat the s**t out of each other, and you can count your bottom dollar that’s what they’re gonna do. They both have that pride and all that.
“It’s gonna be arguably the biggest main event we’ve ever had considering all the ramifications going in, injuries, and all these things. I’m excited about calling that match. I think it’s gonna be fun as hell.”
The expectation is for Punk to face Moxley in a title vs title match at All Out on September 4. Punk won the official World Title from Hangman Page at Double or Nothing in May.
Moxley became interim champion at Forbidden Door after defeating Hiroshi Tanahashi for the vacant gold.
More backstage details on Punk’s return are available at this link.
Transcription via WrestlingNews.co.
If you’re in the UK but didn’t manage to get tickets to Clash at the Castle on September 3, WrestleTalk is hosting a watch party at The Joiner on Worship in Shoreditch, London, and we’d love for you to join us! Click here for more details.
- WWE Star Bayley’s Hilarious Reaction To ‘Bayley Is Hot’ Fan Sign
- WWE Star Unmasks & Swaps With Fan
- AEW Star Sends Heartfelt Message To WWE’s Nikki Cross
- CM Punk’s First Ever WWE Opponent Recalls Going Off Script In Match
- AEW Star Set For First Singles Match In Over Five Months
- Dominik Mysterio Shares Rare Heartwarming Moment With Fan At WWE Event
- New Feud For AEW Championship Revealed
- AEW Star Wears Protective Apparatus For First Match After Facial Injury
- AEW Star Dealing With Double Vision Issues
- Long-Absent AEW Star Teases Match With Former Partner