A very important change appears to be happening within Turner Network, that could have massive implications for the future of AEW.
AEW Dynamite currently airs every Wednesday on TBS. Rampage airs later in the week, on Fridays, on TNT.
Per the latest edition of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, it appears that former Discovery Chief Lifestyle Brands Officer Kathleen Finch will be in charge when AEW will look to negotiate a new deal next year.
Pointing out that the stigma of wrestling might affect how much swearing and blood AEW will be able to implement following a new deal, and also noting that the change could affect the likelihood of a deal being reached altogether, Dave Meltzer wrote:
“One very important thing in the future of AEW come 2023 when negotiations are going on for a new deal is that it looks like Kathleen Finch, the former Chief Lifestyle Brands Officer at Discovery, will be the person put in charge at TBS as part of the WarnerMedia and Discovery merger. So the station will have her vision.
“Dynamite is doing very well, and its actually the highest rated thing on the station other than the NBA or other major sports, but wrestling has a stigma. The other would be her view of programming in regard to things like blood and swearing.”
Viewership was up for this week’s episode of Dynamite, which drew an average of 989,000 viewers, with a 0.38 rating in the 18-49 demographic.
You can view every AEW Dynamite TV rating for 2022 right here.
- Tyson Fury Announces Retirement From Boxing
- Vince McMahon Planned On Burying Gunther Following July 4 Raw
- NJPW G1 Climax 32 Night 16 Results
- Former WWE Referee Scott Armstrong Appears On IMPACT Emergence
- Results For NXT Level Up August 12, 2022
- Kris Statlander Reveals She Requires Surgery For ‘Completely Torn ACL’
- Report: Bray Wyatt ‘Likely Back’ In WWE Soon
- FTW & Tag Team Championships Will Be Defended On AEW Rampage August 19
- Finn Balor Says He Will Be In Cardiff For Clash At The Castle
- Kerry Morton Says Ric Flair Told Him He Was ‘His Number One Draft Pick’ In Professional Wrestling