Rumors of a WWE return for William Regal have been circulating recently.
According to the latest reports, Regal’s possible return to WWE is “something that’s in play.”
William Regal is currently involved in a huge storyline at AEW that has seen him betray Jon Moxley to help MJF become the AEW World Champion at Full Gear.
Previously it was reported that Regal is under contract with AEW for three years.
Dave Meltzer was speaking during the latest Wrestling Observer Radio when he shared the following update to this story:
“William Regal when he signed, which was only in April or May, said that he signed for three years. Now, something is going on but I’m not sure of all of the details.
“Actually I’ve been told a lot of stuff but most of it was off the record. But the basic gist of the situation is I don’t know what he’s doing as far as if he’s going (to WWE), if he’s staying (with AEW).
But I do know that it is something that has been talked about, so either, there’s something in the contract… because a three-year deal, Tony Khan has not let anyone out early so far. That doesn’t mean he never will, but I don’t know what the situation is.
“But there were people who were talking about how there’s stuff being talked about, but I don’t know exactly what it is – I don’t know if he’s staying, I don’t know if he’s going.
“The rumors have been out, even before Wednesday’s show. The thing on Wednesday’s show was just an angle, but there had been talk of that from very early on.
“The fact that he said he was signed for three years, that doesn’t mean I’m saying… because some people are like, ‘Oh that means he’s for sure not leaving and there’s no story here’ – there’s something going on.
“But there’s no guarantee he’s leaving, there’s no guarantee he’s staying, there’s no guarantee he’s not staying. As far as how this all works, as far as the contract situation, with Tony and everything like that, I’m not aware of that.
“But I do know that there’s… it’s something that’s in play. But he said his contract is three years, so in theory, that would tell you that he couldn’t do anything until April 2025. So that’s basically what I know, – what I can say, put it that way.”
If you use this transcription or any portion of it, please credit WrestleTalk.com and link to this page.
So Regal seems to be at AEW for the foreseeable as he is under contract, but as Meltzer notes, there are no guarantees.
Since taking over the role of Chief Content Officer, Paul Leveseque’s (Triple H’s) regime has been a magnet to former WWE names who were previously let go from the company.
Triple H paid tribute to William Regal and his memorable ‘WarGames’ battle cry before Survivor Series, fuelling speculation of a return.
Time will tell if WWE will lure Regal back, and if Tony Khan will allow it before 2025.
Check out WrestleShop.com for all your favorite WrestleTalk merch, the WrestleTalk Magazine, wrestling shirts for grown-ups, and more!
- VIDEO: AEW Entrance Theme Plays At Royal Rumble Event
- Report: WWE/Saudi Arabia Relationship ‘Absolutely A Factor’ In Sami Zayn Plans
- Spoiler For Entrant #1 In Royal Rumble Match Revealed?
- VIDEO: Another Failed Kofi Kingston Royal Rumble Moment
- Spoiler On Former Champion Planned For Tonight’s Royal Rumble
- Surprising Planned WWE Royal Rumble Match Order Revealed
- Cody Rhodes Wins WWE Royal Rumble 2023
- Here’s What Happened During WWE’s Mountain Dew Pitch Black Match
- Top WWE Star Calls CM Punk ‘A Cancer’, Tells Him ‘Go Do Something Else’
- Royal Rumble Sets Up Massive WrestleMania Match?