AEW’s William Regal has admitted that if he was in charge of hirings and firings in a promotion, he’d let names go if it meant he could sign Cesaro (Claudio Castagnoli).
Cesaro is one of the biggest wrestling free agents not currently signed to a promotion, following his WWE contract expiring in February 2022.
Speaking with Renee Paquette on The Sessions, Regal noted that Cesaro is one of a handful of names that he had ever gone to Vince McMahon and Triple H about utilizing.
Noting that if he ran a promotion, he’d be willing to make sacrifices to have the money to bring the Swiss Superman in, Regal said:
“There have only been 4 people that I have gone to Mr. McMahon or Triple H with, who I have said, and this is nothing to do with the job, I have said I cannot tell you when I put my card, I put my reputation on.
“I’ve only put my card to 4 people where I have said that I can’t tell you if they will draw you any money, but they are incredible at what they do, they are professional, they will always be there and will always represent the company well. Everything you want out of a person, 1 of them was Bryan and Claudio (Cesaro) was the second. So that’s how much I will think of him and I just think that he needs to do whatever is right for his family.
“If my words mean anything, again it is not about what you think is right or wrong. If nothing else, to have the stabilising influence of a 1000%, no let me not say that because that’s stupid. A 100% professional person who everyone can look up to and watch and learn from and everything that you could possibly want to be as a professional, wrestles like a star.
“As a human being, speaks 5 languages perfectly and can represent your company anywhere, that’s before we even get into the ring. If you don’t think that he’s [special] then again maybe there is something wrong somewhere. If I had any clout anywhere, I would sacrifice some of that money on the roster to get rid of people, this may sound horrible, to get him. That is how much he would bring to any locker room, and that’s my opinion.”
Regal notably wrestled his last match against Cesaro on NXT in 2013. There has been some speculation surrounding Regal’s potential return to the ring for AEW.
Over 20 on-screen names have left WWE so far this year. Check out a list of the departures right here.
Transcription via Inside The Ropes.
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- Rhea Ripley & Dominik Mysterio Respond To Being Namedropped At AEW Double Or Nothing
- Injury Update After AEW Anarchy In The Arena Match At Double Or Nothing
- PHOTO: CM Punk Spotted With AEW Star After Double Or Nothing
- Jade Cargill Breaks Silence After AEW Double Or Nothing 2023 Loss
- Backstage Praise For AEW Star At Double Or Nothing
- Hilarious Moment From AEW Double Or Nothing 2023 You Probably Missed
- First Participants For 2023 WWE Money In The Bank Ladder Match Revealed
- Two NXT Stars Reportedly Backstage At May 29 WWE Raw
- NXT Stars Debut On WWE Raw
- Spoiler For WWE Star Returning From Injury On Raw?