With a finite number of arenas for WWE and AEW to use, there is bound to be times when both companies will run the same venue.
Naturally, both companies will have contracts in place to make that arena their home and the terms of WWE’s contract has revealed interesting AEW related clauses.
Dave Meltzer wrote about the contract terms in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter (subscription required).
According to Meltzer, for arenas that rent to both AEW and WWE, the WWE has “clauses in its deals that AEW can’t run a certain number of weeks before or after the WWE show.”
That’s not the only thing that arenas have to consider before accepting the WWE booking, with Meltzer going on the say that “AEW and the arena can’t announce the show or sell tickets until after the WWE show has taken place.”
In early 2021, Chris Jericho discussed AEW’s plans to run in New York, referring to it as a “WWE stronghold”.
Beyond the issue of advertising and running shows there, arena management do have their say on what can and can’t happen behind closed doors.
It was recently revealed that a lot of ideas for AEW Double or Nothing 2023 were shut down by the T-Mobile Arena ahead of the show.
Further to this, it was also reported that Matt Jackson had required a special performers license for his exploding superkick spot on the show.
WWE bring Money in the Bank to The O2 Arena in London, England on July 1.
AEW are making their UK debut with All In on August 27 2023 at Wembley Stadium.
If you want to stay fully updated on all the latest wrestling news, click the red bell in the bottom right of your screen to receive notifications from WrestleTalk.com straight to your device!
- Report: Released WWE Star ‘Caused All Kinds Of Issues’ Behind The Scenes
- Matt Riddle Released By WWE
- Released WWE Star’s Final Match Set For Tonight
- Planned AEW PPV Match ‘In Jeopardy’
- Released WWE Star Reveals New Name?
- WWE Official Comments On Recent Releases
- John Cena Match Set For September 22 WWE SmackDown
- WWE Higher-Up Addresses Matt Riddle Being Released
- Major LA Knight SmackDown Plans Pulled Due To COVID-19
- Possible Reason For Mustafa Ali Sudden WWE Release Revealed?