Austin Theory has revealed the concerns that he had before he met Vince McMahon in the WWE when it came to his ring name.
In November 2021, Austin Theory would find himself under the wing of Vince McMahon after he had taken the Cleopatra Egg, leaving to a running program where McMahon would shape Theory’s career, including taking away his first name.
It was on the subject of names that Theory felt his first meeting with McMahon would head towards.
Speaking on Out of Character, Austin Theory recalled how he expected the meeting to do, saying:
“I don’t know why, but I felt like for some reason as a kid, this is something I envisioned, I always felt like when I met Mr. McMahon, he was gonna go, your name’s Austin Theory?
“Theory? What? Why aren’t you a fact? Like when you beat people, it’s a fact, not a theory. What?
“But that never happened so, he just said, ‘You’ll just be Theory.’”
Austin Theory became just Theory in April 2022 and would keep the name until Clash at the Castle in September of that year, reverting to Austin Theory.
Triple H has previously mocked the decision to change Theory’s name, leaning into the idea that if fans can’t tell the difference between Austin Theory and Stone Cold Steve Austin, the problem isn’t in the name.
In the interview with Ryan Satin, Theory would also talk about what other WWE stars told him as he prepared for his WWE Raw promo with John Cena.
Transcript from Post Wrestling.
If you want to stay fully updated on all the latest wrestling news, click the red bell in the bottom right of your screen to receive notifications from WrestleTalk.com straight to your device!
- WWE Announces Nine New Signings
- How Many Tickets CM Punk Immediately Moved For AEW Collision In Chicago
- AEW Getting ‘More Aggressive’ In Major Stars’ Contract Negotiations
- Arena Shut Down ‘A Lot’ Of Ideas For AEW Double Or Nothing
- Update On Ace Steel’s Involvement In CM Punk-Led AEW Collision
- AEW’s Tay Melo Addresses In-Ring Future After Announcing Pregnancy
- WWE Venue Contracts Reportedly Have Interesting AEW Clauses
- Possible Spoiler On A New Title Belt To Be Introduced On June 2 WWE SmackDown
- Two AEW Stars Returning From Injury Soon
- Date For Major WWE International Show Revealed?