WWE reportedly assumed that Stokely Hathaway, fka NXT’s Malcolm Bivens, would be going to AEW following his release from the company.
Following Hathaway’s departure, the former Diamond Mine member confirmed that he turned down an offer to join the WWE main roster.
Per Dave Meltzer on Wrestling Observer Radio, WWE believed that Hathaway was thinking about an AEW run.
Explaining why this was the backstage belief, Meltzer said:
“They were all basically saying he was going to AEW. If you turn down the main roster, the assumption is you want to go to AEW.”
Hathaway ultimately debuted for AEW during Sunday’s Double or Nothing pay-per-view, aligning himself with TBS Champion Jade Cargill.
AEW President Tony Khan has explained how the appearance came to be, stating that he hadn’t met Hathaway prior to the day of the pay-per-view.
You can read our live results for Double or Nothing right here.
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- PHOTO: New WWE Undisputed Universal Championship Belt Revealed
- Seth Rollins’ First World Heavyweight Championship Defence Confirmed For June 5 WWE Raw
- Update On Drew McIntyre Amid Ongoing WWE Absence
- WWE Star Teases ‘Big News’ For Next Week
- Top WWE Star ‘Demanded’ Current Run
- What Happened With The Bloodline On SmackDown June 2
- Another New Theme For WWE Tag Team
- Popular Faction To Reunite On SmackDown?
- WWE Star Gets Married (Photo)
- WWE NXT Name Backstage At June 2 SmackDown Taping