According the pwinsider.com, WWE and reigning Intercontinental Champion The Miz have come to terms on a new four-year contract. WWE were initially hoping to secure the 37-year-old to a longer deal, but The Miz did not wish to commit beyond 2022.
Miz first appeared for the company in 2004 as part of the fourth season of Tough Enough, reaching the final where he lost to MMA wannabe Daniel Puder. He was signed to a developmental deal regardless, then spent two years in DSW and OVW before receiving a call-up to SmackDown in 2006.
Overcoming hostility from the audience and from his peers behind the scenes (Miz was famously forced to change alone in a closet for six months after he accidentally spilled chicken on Chris Benoit’s bags, until The Undertaker permitted his return to the locker room following Benoit’s death), Miz eventually developed into a solid heel act with excellent promo skills.
On November 22, 2010, Miz became one of the most unlikely WWE Champions in history, cashing in his Money in the Bank briefcase against Randy Orton on Raw. He held onto the belt through WrestleMania (where he shockingly beat John Cena) before finally dropping it to ‘Big Match John’ on May 1 at Extreme Rules 2010. Although he has never recaptured the title, he has been a regular in the upper reaches of the card since.
Outside of the ring Miz is a valuable commodity for WWE, largely due to his adeptness when it comes to doing mainstream media PR: intelligent and likable, Miz is a perfect company representative. He is also a regular in WWE-produced movies and in reality show Total Divas.
Now, if only WWE could get Universal Champion Brock Lesnar to agree to a similar extension to his deal . . .
- Daniel Puder
- Money in the Bank
- Tough Enough
- The Miz
- Extreme Rules
- Brock Lesnar
- Chris Benoit
- John Cena
- The Undertaker
- Former WWE Star Alleges Incident ‘Worse’ Than Recent Vince McMahon Lawsuit
- WWE Star Seemingly Turning Heel
- Cara Pipia Claims Ashley Massaro Was ‘Threatened’ To Keep Quiet About Alleged Rape, Vince McMahon & Stephanie McMahon Named
- WWE Star Confirms Torn ACL Injury
- Major Hint For WWE SummerSlam 2024 Location
- WWE Tag Team Partners Potentially Splitting Up
- Former WWE Star ‘100%’ Open To Full-Time Return
- Released WWE Stars Tease Potential Stable?
- Absent WWE Star Teases Return After Six Months Away
- WWE Feud Continues After Insults Thrown At Star’s Children