During tonight’s episode of WWE Raw on the USA Network, the WWE Championship match for the August 23 SummerSlam event was made official.
Randy Orton opened tonight’s show by declaring interest in Drew McIntyre’s WWE Title. Later in the night ahead of his match against Dolph Ziggler, McIntyre accepted the challenge and it was made official.
WrestleTalk.com exclusively reported several weeks ago that McIntyre defending against Orton was the plan for SummerSlam. There had been talk of Orton working with Tommaso Ciampa, but the lack of credible heels on Raw left Orton as one of the only options for a big match for McIntyre.
McIntyre defeated Brock Lesnar to win the title for the first time in his career at WrestleMania this past April. Since then, he’s retained against Big Show, Andrade, Seth Rollins, Bobby Lashley and Dolph Ziggler.
Orton, meanwhile, has been on an invigorated ‘Legend Killer’ run, which started with a program with Edge that ran from the Royal Rumble to Backlash. Since then, he’s also taken out Christian and Big Show with Ric Flair by his side.
It was also confirmed during Raw tonight that the Street Profits will defend the Raw Tag Team Championship against Andrade & Angel Garza at SummerSlam.
- Spoilers For AEW Title Eliminator Match
- Evidence AEW Star Is Leaving The Company?
- Alexa Bliss Addresses WrestleMania 39 Status
- PHOTO: Bray Wyatt Spotted Amid WWE Absence
- CM Punk Comments On Rey Mysterio & Dominik WrestleMania Feud
- AEW Star Says Cody Rhodes’ WWE Push Made Them ‘Reevalutate’ Future
- Celebrity Training For WWE In-Ring Return
- WWE Name Criticizes ‘Childish’ CM Punk Instagram Post
- Roman Reigns To Hit Huge Milestone Ahead Of WrestleMania 39
- KSI Addresses Possibility Of A WWE Future