Raw star Bayley has commented on comparisons between her old babyface gimmick and John Cena’s WWE character.
Before she became the Role Model in September 2019, Bayley captured the hearts of fans on NXT and the main roster as a hugger who refused to give up.
This character was often compared to John Cena, who literally has ‘never give up’ written on his merchandise.
Speaking with Dr Beau Hightower, Bayley shared her honest thoughts on the comparisons:
“I used to get that a lot. Not recent because I’ve turned bad. When I was a good guy, I think it meant a lot when I would get it and hearing it from my peers.
“They were like, ‘you’re one of the most white meat babyfaces and people were genuinely behind (me). They could see no evil in me.
“That was really cool and I just thought about all the merch money I could make. It’s funny but there is a difference now when you’re a good guy and a bad guy.
“I think I needed to make the change for myself. Nobody is John Cena. I wouldn’t be able to do what he did for that long.”
Cena will return to the ring at WrestleMania 39 to face US Champion Austin Theory.
The 16-time World Champion appeared on the March 6 edition of Raw to hype up this match.
An update has since emerged on Cena’s WWE status, which you can read about right here.
Transcription via Fightful.
Think you’re a wrestling mastermind? Well you can prove it by taking quizzes in our brand new quiz section! Don’t forget to tweet us your results!
- Ronda Rousey WWE Replacement Revealed
- Former WWE Star To Return On The Raw After WrestleMania?
- Big Clue AEW Stars Are Heading To WWE?
- Latest WWE Celebrity Hall Of Fame Inductee Confirmed
- Saraya Recruits Recent AEW Signees To The Outcasts?
- Update On Rumored WWE Releases/Cuts
- Report: WWE Having ‘Larger Conversation’ About Wrestler Safety
- Update On Current Champion WWE Has Legitimate Concerns About
- Unseen AEW Matches Coming Soon?
- AEW World Champion MJF Set For Surprising Indie Appearance