Many fans were unhappy when Charlotte Flair won the women’s Royal Rumble match as it set up potential matches with Bayley and Becky Lynch, both of which we have seen many times before.
However, it was speculated that Charlotte Flair would actually not be challenging for the Raw or SmackDown Women’s Championship but instead the NXT title in what would be a shocking turn of events.
This speculation has seeming been proved to be true as Rhea Ripley appeared on Raw last night, urging Charlotte Flair to pick her for a match at WrestleMania.
Ripley interrupted a promo from Charlotte Flair where “The Queen” remained vague about which championship she intends to go after at WrestleMania 36 in April.
Now WWE has confirmed that Charlotte Flair will be on this Wednesday’s episode of NXT to respond to Rhea Ripley’s challenge for a WrestleMania match.
While fans might be disappointed that WWE didn’t have Flair’s return to NXT as a surprise, the company has likely announced the return ahead of time in the hope that it might see a bump in the ratings.
Welcome home, @MsCharlotteWWE.#TheQueen RETURNS to @WWENXT THIS WEDNESDAY to answer @RheaRipley_WWE's #WrestleMania challenge! pic.twitter.com/YfNl4Lkc1P
— WWE NXT (@WWENXT) February 4, 2020
For what it’s worth, I think WWE should have saved this angle for the 02/17 episode of Raw. Rhea Ripley should be focused on her challenger for the NXT Championship at TakeOver: Portland, Bianca Belair.
Flair could have appeared at the end of the TakeOver match in under two weeks to challenge Ripley, or Rhea could have appeared on the episode of Raw the following day.
However, with NXT yet to win a single week of the ratings war with AEW, WWE is likely hoping that Charlotte’s promoted appearance will bring in some more viewers quickly.
- Paul Heyman’s Intriguing Reaction After Jimmy Uso Accidentally Costs Jey Uso Championship Match
- Potential Future WWE Bloodline Member Receives Big Offer
- Another New WWE Championship Redesign To Be Revealed On SmackDown
- Another New WWE Championship Design Revealed & Big Return On SmackDown
- Another WWE Championship Unification Match Announced
- Update On WWE Women’s Title Situation Ahead Of June 9 SmackDown
- AEW Star Becoming ‘More Important’ On Creative Team, Recent Contributions Revealed
- Paul Heyman Idea That Vince McMahon Thought Was ‘Terrible’ Revealed
- KENTA Responds To Alternate Dream Match For CM Punk At Forbidden Door
- Popular AEW Star Sidelined With Neck Injury