WWE has edited Ilja Dragunov’s entrances filmed at the recent NXT UK taping, including for his latest NXT UK Championship bout.
On Wednesday’s show, Dragunov once again entered with his new theme that appears to have replaced his ‘Comrades of the Red Army’ music.
Per the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Dragunov did indeed use his previous theme at the March taping, meaning that WWE has chosen to edit it out of broadcasts, most likely due to the ongoing Russian invasion of Ukraine.
Dave Meltzer wrote:
“On the 4/7 NXT U.K. show, before the Ilja Dragunov vs. Roderick Strong match taped in March, they used new music for Dragunov and had new graphics with his name. They eliminated the Russia/Soviet stuff that they could in post production.
“He still came out conducting his theme and in the building, in London, he used his theme. The was taped a few days after the Russian invasion, but before WWE realized what a hot button issue this would be.”
In the main event of Thursday’s show, Dragunov defeated Roderick Strong to retain his NXT UK Championship. This was Dragunov’s fifth title defence since defeating Gunther (WALTER) for the gold at NXT TakeOver 36.
There have reportedly been internal discussions about bringing Gunther to the WWE main roster, which you can read more about right here.
- Scrapped Pitch For Sting AEW Retirement Revealed
- Bayley Reacts To Dakota Kai & Damage CTRL WWE Betrayal
- AEW Star Contract Expiry Update
- Potential WWE Signing Recalls Conversations With Shawn Michaels
- WWE Star Praises AEW’s Sting For Going Out On His Own Terms
- Details On WWE Star’s Role In Upcoming Movie
- AEW Star Set For Return Match Against Brother
- Cody Rhodes Sends Message To Sting Ahead Of AEW Revolution Retirement
- Former AEW Star’s WWE Return Match Announced
- Sting’s Son Shares Emotional Message Ahead Of AEW Revolution Retirement Match