One of WWE’s executive vice presidents has commented on Vince McMahon and the decision to continue running shows through the coronavirus pandemic.
Reports came out yesterday that several names in WWE from all areas of the company who have been at recent tapings, including in-ring talent, have tested positive for COVID-19.
Speaking on a conference call with Sport Hiatus, WWE EVP of Global Head of Sales and Partnerships John Brody spoke about the company continuing to tape shows, saying:
“The health and safety of our superstars is first and foremost paramount. It comes down to leadership in many ways. Our leader [Vince McMahon] believes we have a social responsibility to put fans first and to help them get a break from what was coming and what we’re in the midst of. We have a responsibility to take them away for a few hours and give them a smile and a chance to feel something other than what they’re watching, which is also important, on the news. We leaned in to say ‘we’re going to put fans first’ and do everything we can, working with state, local, and federal officials to make sure it’s safe for our most important resource, the WWE superstars, and we’re going to do whatever we can to deliver content for our partners and our fans.
“We understand the decision other sports made, we wouldn’t have made the decision we made if we didn’t think we could do it safely for our internal (staff) and for all those affected, but we felt America needed it and needed the ‘pick me up.'”
As of this writing, three WWE names have confirmed they tested positive for COVID-19 – Renee Young, Adam Pearce and Kayla Braxton.
Thanks to Fightful for the transcription
- Official WrestleMania 39 Night One & Two Lineups Revealed
- Newest Update On Bobby Lashley Vs. Bray Wyatt WrestleMania 39 Status
- Report: AEW Star’s Contract Has Expired
- Revealed: Will Vince McMahon Be At WrestleMania 39
- AEW Star Legitimately Injured On Dynamite
- Clarification On WrestleMania 39 Night One Main Event
- Shock Return & Heel Turn On AEW Dynamite
- Update On Legitimate Injury During AEW Dynamite
- AEW All Access Reveals Young Bucks Considered Retirement After All Out
- Potential Spoiler On Major Musical Artist Set For WrestleMania 39