A prominent name in NJPW has revealed plans that could have brought a top WWE to Japan for a brief run of matches.
NJPW’s Rocky Romero appeared on the Comedy Store Wrestling podcast and discussed conversations with WWE’s Finn Balor.
Balor had a well-regarded run in New Japan Pro-Wrestling from 2006 to 2014 when he would leave the company to join WWE.
During his time there, wrestling as Prince Devitt, Balor would hold the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship three times, be a six-time IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Champion and win the Best of the Super Juniors on two occasions (2010 & 2013).
He maintains a good relationship with Rocky Romero in NJPW who discussed the plans to briefly bring Balor back to NJPW, saying:
“I’ve had a couple fun conversations with him (Finn Bálor) over the last couple of years of like, him kind of fantasy booking and you know, ‘I’m gonna talk to Triple H and see if there’s an opportunity here for me to come back.’
“This was years ago. But yeah, just to come back and do a couple matches and just kind of reheat himself up before going back to WWE.”
Although it’s not clear when this time period would have been, Balor has been a regular fixture on WWE television though did suffer a shoulder injury in August 2016 that would sideline him until early 2017.
He would also be absent from WWE television for two months after SummerSlam in August 2019, returning to WWE NXT in October of that year.
His final NXT would be in May 2021 when he would, once again, take a short hiatus from WWE television before returning to SmackDown in July of that year.
Transcript from Post Wrestling.
If you want to stay fully updated on all the latest wrestling news, click the red bell in the bottom right of your screen to receive notifications from WrestleTalk.com straight to your device!
- Seth Rollins First WWE World Heavyweight Title Defense Revealed
- WWE Star Spotted Training With Top Japanese Star
- Major WWE Star Undergoing Surgery?
- NXT Talent To Be Contestant On ABC’s ‘The Bachelorette’
- WWE Announces Nine New Signings
- How Many Tickets CM Punk Immediately Moved For AEW Collision In Chicago
- WWE Beats Jesus, Donald Trump & More For Incredible World Record
- Arena Shut Down ‘A Lot’ Of Ideas For AEW Double Or Nothing
- Possible Spoiler On A New Title Belt To Be Introduced On June 2 WWE SmackDown
- AEW Getting ‘More Aggressive’ In Major Stars’ Contract Negotiations