SmackDown star GUNTHER has broken another HUGE WWE title record with his Intercontinental Championship reign.
GUNTHER won the Intercontinental Championship in June 2022, defeating Shinsuke Nakamura for the gold.
Since then, the Austrian star has dominated the blue brand, defending the gold against the likes of Sheamus, Braun Strowman, Rey Mysterio and Ricochet.
GUNTHER has passed many major milestones as champion, and WWE has now acknowledged a new one.
On Instagram, WWE has shared a video recapping the five longest reigning Intercontinental Champions of the 21st century.
The current champion has now taken the top spot with a 245+ day reign, passing Shelton Benjamin’s 244 day stint with the gold in 2004.
Shinsuke Nakamura, Randy Orton and Cody Rhodes also made the list.
WWE captioned the video:
“@gunther_aut now holds the record for the longest Intercontinental Title reign of the 21st century”
GUNTHER has the longest single Intercontinental Championship reign since The Rock’s 264 day run between December 1997 and August 1998.
Following speculation about plans for the star at WrestleMania 39, GUNTHER has stated that he views one rumored opponent as his ‘end boss‘.
Stay up to date with WWE title changes in 2023 using our tracker right here.
View this post on Instagram
Think you’re a wrestling mastermind? Well you can prove it by taking quizzes in our brand new quiz section! Don’t forget to tweet us your results!
- WWE Accidentally Leaks Scrapped WrestleMania 39 Plan
- Big Matt Riddle WWE Update Ahead Of WrestleMania 39
- WWE Confirms Vince McMahon An Employee Of The Company
- Major Star In Los Angeles Amid WrestleMania 39 Return Rumors
- Randy Orton In-Ring Return Update Ahead Of WrestleMania 39
- WWE To Scrap Planned Title Change?
- Triple H Has Big Plans For WWE Raw Star
- The Usos Break Character To Praise Sami Zayn Ahead Of WrestleMania 39
- Carmella’s Role At WWE WrestleMania 39 Revealed
- Leaked Footage Of Top WWE Star WrestleMania 39 Entrance Rehearsal Revealed