A WWE Champion has entered the title reign record books, securing a space in the top 10 longest reigns in company history.
PW Insider Elite (subscription required) confirms that, as of January 31, Gunther has been the Intercontinental Champion for 235 days.
This reign sees him enter the top 10 longest reigns, eclipsing Pat Patterson reign as Intercontinental Champion and that of Cody Rhodes.
Patterson was the inaugural Intercontinental Champion, holding the championship from September 1 1979 for a recognized 232 days.
Rhodes held the Intercontinental Championship for 233 days from August 9 2011.
Per the PW Insider Elite report, the next stepping stone for Gunther will be the reign of Shelton Benjamin who held the championship from 2004 for 244 days.
He would then have his sights set on The Rock’s record of 264 days.
Gunther recently competed in the WWE Royal Rumble, eliminating WWE Hall of Famer Booker T in just 42 seconds.
Booker T recently spoke on the elimination following criticism that “Booker got jobbed out”.
There have been past reports that Gunter and Brock Lesnar may be pencilled in for WrestleMania 39 in April 2023.
Dave Meltzer of Wrestling Observer has stated that the plans are “far from finalized.”
Think you’re a wrestling mastermind? Well you can prove it by taking quizzes in our brand new quiz section! Don’t forget to tweet us your results!
- Report: How ‘Majority’ Of AEW Roster Feel Toward CM Punk Revealed
- Report: WWE To Introduce New Championship Belt ‘Soon’
- Potential Spoiler On Change To WrestleMania 39 Match
- Next WWE Hall Of Fame 2023 Inductee Announced
- AEW Name Opens Up About Training Action Star’s Daughter
- What Happened In Cody Rhodes’ Massive Pre-WrestleMania Match Against Solo Sikoa
- Irate Jon Moxley Responds To CM Punk In Expletive-Filled Retort
- Major Change Confirmed For WrestleMania 39 Match
- Vince McMahon Era Rule ‘Effectively Dead’ Under Triple H
- Popular WWE Team To Potentially Reunite After WrestleMania