Kevin Owens has revealed that there were previously plans for him to return to NXT full-time, before Vince McMahon changed his mind.
At NXT TakeOver: WarGames 2019, Owens made his in-ring return to the brand, joining Tommaso Ciampa, Keith Lee and Dominik Dijakovic to do battle with Undisputed Era inside the cage.
Speaking with Alex McCarthy of TalkSPORT, Owens recalled the WWE Chairman signing off on plans for him to re-join the brand, before changing his mind. Explaining that creative just went in a different direction, the former Universal Champion said:
“Before I did the War Games return, there were concrete plans for me to go back to NXT for an extended period before coming back to the main roster. At the time Paul Heyman was in charge on RAW and those were just plans we had and Vince (McMahon) had signed off on all of them and, eventually, he changed his mind and nothing happened.
“That’s all it comes down to – what he says goes. It wasn’t something I had just floated about, it was a plan that was going to happen and they just went in a different direction.”
On Monday’s (November 8) edition of Raw, Owens appeared to turn heel, attacking WWE Champion Big E.
Kevin Owens’ WWE contract is set to expire in February of 2022, and there has been no word yet on if he has made a decision regarding his future with the company.