After SmackDown Live last night, we weren’t treated to the usual exciting hour of 205 Live but instead saw the season two premiere of WWE Mixed Match Challenge. Unlike season one’s knockout tournament, the competitors will now be facing off in a round robin. This means each team will face every other pairing in their respective leagues (one for Raw, one for SmackDown Live) with their scores racking up week-to-week.
Each episode will feature a matchup from both the red brand and the blue. This week’s opening bout for Raw, however, already had some added news to it as last season’s Team Little Big has been tragically torn apart due to Alexa Bliss’ Hell in a Cell injury. Luckily for her former partner Braun Strowman, Ember Moon was around to lend a hand… I mean she’s not doing anything else on the main roster.
With that in mind, let’s take a quick look at the results.
Raw Match One
Monster Eclipse (Strowman & Moon) vs. Team Pawz (Kevin Owens & Natalya)
In the first match of the season, the commentators were trying to subside the overwhelming thought that Strowman and Moon would run through their opponents by repeatedly saying how they have had very little time to prepare. It’s still Strowman and Moon, they’re both incredible, the former through sheer power and the latter with true skill. This was quickly shrugged off when they realized that across from them was Natalya and Owens who were actually not getting along.
The match itself started slowly with Moon and Natalya getting caught in chin-lock after chin-lock. Seeing the ‘War Goddess’ not going 100mph is strange and I would like less of that, please and thank you. Everything stepped up a gear when their male counterparts stepped into the ring, however, and the fun MMC is known for really began.
Braun ran down Owens repeatedly and soon, Moon mirrored a Team Little Big spot from last season, performing the Eclipse off of Braun’s shoulders for the win. It was a fun, slightly non-canon match that set the tone well and showed off Monster Eclipse’s dominance which will likely be a recurring theme throughout the tournament.
Winners: Monster Eclipse (Braun Strowman & Ember Moon)
SmackDown Live Match One
Fenomenal Flair (AJ Styles & Charlotte Flair) vs. Day One Glow (Jimmy Uso & Naomi)
Kicking off SmackDown Live‘s league table were the clear and obvious leaders, WWE Champion AJ Styles and former seven-time WWE Women’s Champion Charlotte Flair. Their team name is Fenomenal Flair (yes, they did spell it that way) because alliteration is more important than spelling… maybe they are just catering to their Spanish and Portuguese speaking fans. Who knows.
Regardless, they were up against husband and wife team, Day One Glow, made up of Jimmy Uso and Naomi. With both teams currently residing on the face side of the roster (despite Flair definitely being a heel, I don’t care what story you think you are telling, Road Dogg!), this one was full of admirable spots where no one cheated and everyone was nice to each other. Fun. That said, Style and Uso did have a wonderful handshake where neither would let go to tag their respective partners and simply continued to blame each other. Good stuff.
The actual match was solid with both teams demonstrating their skill and it was interesting to see a matchup between a singles division leader and a tag division leader in AJ and Jimmy. Of course, when all was said and done, it was the Fenomenal Flair faces – see we can all do it – that bagged the ‘W’ and shot to the top of the blue brand’s league table.
Winners: Fenomenal Flair (AJ Styles & Charlotte Flair)
- Monster Eclipse (Braun Strowman & Ember Moon) 1-0
- B’n’B (Finn Bálor & Bayley) 0-0
- Mahalicia (Jinder Mahal & Alicia Fox) 0-0
- Legit Dominance (Bobby Lashley & Sasha Banks) 0-0
- Team Pawz (Kevin Owens & Natalya) 0-1
- Fenomenal Flair (AJ Styles & Charlotte Flair) 1-0
- Awe-ska (The Miz & Asuka) 0-0
- The Fabulous Truth (R-Truth & Carmella) 0-0
- Ravishing Rusev Day (Rusev & Lana) 0-0
- Day One Glow (Jimmy Uso & Naomi) 0-1
Next week, we will see the matchups of Legit Dominance (Bobby Lashley & Sasha Banks) vs. Mahalicia (Jinder Mahal & Alicia Fox) on the Raw side. Then for the blue brand, it will be last season’s winners Awe-ska (The Miz & Asuka) vs. The Fabulous Truth (R-Truth & Carmella).
Stay tuned for more WWE Mixed Match Challenge updates and results as the weeks progress right here on WrestleTalk.com.
- Another Big Sign Released Star Returning To WWE
- Several WWE Stars Pulled From Indie Event
- Kazuchika Okada & Jay White Announced For Trios Bout Ahead Of NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 17
- AEW Star Wishes CM Punk & The Elite Situation ‘Didn’t Happen’
- Top NJPW Star Explains Why Co-Promotional Event With STARDOM Should Happen ‘Every Once In A While’
- WWE Stars Honor Late TV Star Jason David Frank
- AEW Star Praises Ricky ‘The Dragon’ Steamboat After Return Match
- Bayley Recruits Recent Celebrity WWE Signee to Damage CTRL?
- Correction On William Regal AEW Contract Status
- Latest On Sasha Banks WWE Contract Negotiations