Last week it was announced by WWE that NXT will be having a two-night Great American Bash special covering the next two weeks of NXT TV. Some very exciting matches have been announced for both nights.
This is clearly nothing but a counter-programming measure, as All Elite Wrestling is also putting on a two-night Fyter Fest event on July 1 and July 8, which also has some mouth-watering matches booked.
Last week, NXT crushed AEW in the ratings by the largest margin to date, and WWE is clearly intent on keeping this momentum up as this week’s show is set to have limited commercials.
This was confirmed last night on Monday Night Raw, where this week’s NXT was probably plugged more than any other NXT TV show to date.
On the latest Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer spoke about how big this could be for NXT, with viewers on Wednesday nights traditionally switching over to the other show to check what’s been happening during commercial breaks.
There is no word on what the “limited commercials” actually mean. NXT has done this before when going head-to-head with AEW where a specific portion of the show or a specific match has had no commercial breaks, with the ads being made up by the end of the show by having more frequent breaks.
NXT has some big matches announced for this week’s show, all of which you can check out below:
- Roderick Strong vs. Dexter Lumis- Strap Match
- Robert Stone and Aliyah vs. Rhea Ripley – Ripley has tro join The Robert Stone Brand if she loses
- Oney Lorcan vs. Timothy Thatcher
- Io Shirai vs. Sasha Banks
- Dakota Kai vs. Tegan Nox vs. Mia Yim vs. Candice LeRae – four-way Elimination Match to determine the #1 contender to NXT Women’s Championship