A WWE NXT star has hit a record milestone as a fighting champion as defending their title a record number of times.
Wes Lee kicked off tonight’s WWE NXT with another big title defense of his North American Championship.
Lee, who had Tyler Bate in his corner, managed to retain against Drew Gulak, who had Charlie Dempsey in his.
After besting Drew Gulak, Lee hit a record ninth successful title defense on TV/PLE, which commentary made a pretty big deal out of.
Since winning the title in a five-way ladder match at Halloween Havoc 2022, Lee has retained against Carmelo Hayes, Tony D’Angelo, Dijak, Von Wagner, Nathan Frazer – a five-way against Axiom, Dragon Lee, JD McDonagh and Ilja Dragunov – Axiom, Charlie Dempsey, and now Drew Gulak.
If you include house show matches, Lee has defended and retained the title a total of 15 times to date.
After the match, the official WWE NXT Twitter page tweeted:
Another one.@WesLee_WWE takes down @DrewGulak to retain his title and continue his incredible run as North American Champion!#WWENXT pic.twitter.com/z48tMaOdbI
— WWE NXT (@WWENXT) May 3, 2023
If you want to stay fully updated on all the latest wrestling news, click the red bell in the bottom right of your screen to receive notifications from WrestleTalk.com straight to your device!
- Asuka Shares Expletive-Filled Translation Of Recent Promo Battle With IYO SKY
- Former WWE Star Says They’re Not Retired
- Rhea Ripley Weighs In On Major WrestleMania 39 Debate
- Seth Rollins Teases “Forbidden Door” Dream Match With Top Star?
- Seth Rollins ‘First Title Defense’ Of WWE World Heavyweight Championship Already Happened
- ‘Free Agent’ WWE Star Set For First NXT Match In Seven Years
- Major AEW X NJPW Forbidden Door Dream Match Set
- Popular AEW Star Announced For G1 Climax
- Top WWE Star’s Hilarious Response To Ronda Rousey ‘Demanding’ Rumours
- Popular Wrestling Database Site Announces Changes Due To AEW, WWE Fan Tribalism