It’s relatively well known across the wrestling world that “Stone Cold” Steve Austin was very nearly something that never happened.
Like a lot of wrestlers during the 90s, he was pitched a number of utterly terrible gimmicks and names before they finally settled on one the gimmick that would turn him into one of the biggest names in wrestling history.
Fang McFrost, Snowman, Otto von Ruthless, Ice Dagger, Cruel Luke, Cool Cat, and Chilly McFreeze are just a few of the more famous rejected gimmicks, but during the Steve Austin A&E documentary, WWE also pitched the name Mr. Freeze to Austin, which would have meant he had the same name as a Batman villain.
Mick Foley pointed out that the fact everyone knows all these names shows just how bad they were.
“That’s a tricky situation, when you’re fairly new in the company, Mr. McMahon has agreed to give you a character change and you’re given a list from creative. The fact that I can rattle off more of Stone Cold’s names than the terrible names that I was given, speaks to just how bad they were.”
I’m not sure The Rock vs. Cool Cat would have had quite the same ring to it, do you?
What are your thoughts on the above story? Let us know in the comments on Twitter or Facebook.
- What Happened During Trinity Fatu’s IMPACT Pay-Per-View Debut
- WWE Hall Of Famer Reacts To Trinity Fatu Tribute At IMPACT Under Siege 2023
- Cody Rhodes Shares Message Ahead Of Brock Lesnar Match At WWE Night Of Champions 2023
- Roman Reigns Shares Final Message Before WWE Night Of Champions 2023
- Ex-NXT Star Helps Trish Stratus Beat Becky Lynch At WWE Night Of Champions 2023
- Former Champion Becomes A Free Agent, Multiple Promotions Interested
- WWE Crowns New World Heavyweight Champion At Night Of Champions
- Big Update On WWE World Heavyweight Championship Lineage After Seth Rollins’ Win
- VIDEO: Jimmy Uso Turns On Roman Reigns, Jey Uso Reacts
- Full Match Order For WWE Night Of Champions 2023