A WWE Raw star has had a name change, there seems to be more backstage heat at AEW, an update on Becky Lynch’s return, and more.
It’s Tuesday, it’s November 22, so what better way to start your day than the WrestleTalk news bulletin for Tuesday, November 22, 2022.
WWE Raw Star Undergoes Name Change
Mia Yim returned to WWE on the November 7 episode of WWE Raw, aligning herself with The OC against Judgment Day.
Now, at WWE’s go-home episode of WWE Raw before Survivor Series, it was revealed that Yim would officially be going by the new name of Michin.
We’d seen an indication of this previously, with Yim saying that ‘Michin’ means ‘crazy’ in Korean on the November 14 episode of WWE Raw, where she appeared with a new entrance video and theme.
Now, the name change has been confirmed, with WWE.com being updated and Michin taking to Twitter to post:
— The HBIC (@MiaYim) November 22, 2022
She would also seemingly confirm that the name change was her idea in a reply to a Twitter user who stated:
“Mia literally owns the rights to her name and has always wanted to keep the rights no matter where she’s worked. I bet you money Michin was her idea especially with it being Korean.”
With Survivor Series WarGames under a week away, this go-home episode of Raw also featured:
- Judgment Day interrupted the opening promo from the WarGames team of Drew McIntyre, Kevin Owens and the Brawling Brutes, resulting in a six-man tag match which the Brawling Brutes won after The OC came out and got involved
- Johnny Gargano was scheduled to face The Miz, but Miz claimed a hand injury was keeping him out, so instead Gargano had to face Omos, and Omos won (Gargano also debuted a new version of this theme which caused a lot of backlash from fans)
- A three-way for the United States Title at Survivor Series was made official for Survivor Series, with Seth Rollins defending against Austin Theory and Bobby Lashley
- Austin Theory def. Mustafa Ali before brawling with Lashley, who attacked Ali when Theory ran away
- Matt Riddle & Elias def. Alpha Academy
- Drew McIntyre def. Baron Corbin after a distraction from Akira Tozawa who stole JBL’s hat
- Judgment Day & The OC brawled backstage
- Rhea Ripley def. Asuka to win her team the WarGames advantage
- The final participant of the women’s WarGames match will be revealed on SmackDown this Friday
- As a side note, the two NXT talents who worked matches on Main Event before Raw this week were two main roster debutants in Alba Fyre and Grayson Waller
More Backstage Heat In AEW?
‘Jungle Boy’ Jack Perry and Colten Gunn got into a bit of a spat on Twitter after Gunn made a comment that Perry “wants to be a Gunn so bad.”
During the AEW Full Gear media scrum, Perry revealed that his ring gear was inspired by Shawn Michaels’ own ring gear for the first-ever Hell in a Cell match at WWF Badd Blood in 1997.
Sharing a photo on Twitter of himself and Colten in Shawn Michaels’ inspired gear of their own, Austin Gunn tweeted “kid wants to be a Gunn so bad.”
Jungle Boy replied with “I don’t know… I think I prefer being booked on the PPVs.”
The discussion could have ended there, but Colten Gunn replied with “I guess if we changed with the bucks and stayed up until 6 am with the boss we could get a spot too.”
Colten’s tweet has now been deleted, adding fuel to the fire of this not just being a bit of back-and-forth banter and a reflection of actual backstage animosity.
Becky Lynch Return Update
Fightful Select (subscription required) has been told that Becky Lynch is set to return from injury and her return was “expected to be very soon” as of last week at least.
Lynch has been out of action since her injury at SummerSlam in July, sustaining a separated shoulder.
Fightful reports that “WWE were very happy they could avoid surgery” although Lynch “wouldn’t be able to resume any in-ring training in any capacity until October at the least.”
There is clearly backstage enthusiasm for the return of Lynch, with Fightful also stating that there are “several members of the new WWE regime that are excited to work with Becky Lynch without her being under the auspices of Vince McMahon’s booking.”
Despite losing to MJF at Full Gear, Jon Moxley now has the longest combined days reigning as AEW World Champion with 347, which is just ONE day more than the previous record held by Kenny Omega at 346.
Bryan Danielson said on One Fall that he won’t wrestle full-time after his current AEW contract ends, which is set to be September 2024.
WWE announced the 2023 Royal Rumble has achieved the largest ever gate for a Rumble event, surpassing $5 million.
AEW’s Andrade El Idolo made a cryptic post on Instagram which some have taken to be him saying goodbye to AEW.
WrestleVotes reported via GiveMeSport that Paul Levesque (Triple H) sees the booking of Finn Balor as a “reclamation project”.
The first episode of ‘Being The Elite’ after the post-All Out hiatus was released, and featured an amplified version of the ‘“f**k CM Punk” chants from The Elite’s match at Full Gear.
The Young Bucks said on BTE that this had been the “hardest two months of their lives”.
The Tennessean reported that WWE has a “verbal agreement” with Nashville to host WrestleMania 43, which would be in 2027, providing a new stadium is built in time.
Brandi Rhodes said on Ten Count that wrestling isn’t currently in her plans.
AEW’s Jade Cargill & The Baddies confronted rapper Bow Wow at a meet & greet after Cargill and Bow Wow had gotten into exchanges on Twitter.
Fightful Select reported that WWE is targeting to the city of Jeddah for it’s next Saudi Arabia show, rather than Riyadh.
Set for tonight’s NXT is:
- Wes Lee (c) vs. Carmelo Hayes – NXT North American Championship
- Cora Jade vs. Wendy Choo
- Ivy Nile vs. Kiana James
- SCRYPTS debuts
- Toxic Attraction to open the show
And, there we have it, the end of another WrestleTalk.com news bulletin.
Keep your eye on WrestleTalk.com for all the latest wrestling news and we’ll see you tomorrow for another news bulletin.
Check out WrestleShop.com for all your favorite WrestleTalk merch, the WrestleTalk Magazine, wrestling shirts for grown-ups, and more!
- Ole Anderson Passes Away
- CM Punk, Jade Cargill & More: Full WWE 2K24 DLC List Revealed
- New WWE Hire Confirms He’s Joined The Company
- Jinder Mahal Shares Honest Thoughts On Tony Khan WWE Booking Comments
- Former WWE Star Clarifies Status For Sting’s AEW Retirement Match
- Two WWE Stars Replaced In Upcoming Match
- Drew McIntyre Addresses Injury Concerns, The Bloodline & More
- WWE Star Stuck In Locker Room Ahead Of Raw
- WWE Star Says He’d ‘Definitely Consider’ Going To Sting’s AEW Retirement Match
- AEW Star Reveals Why He’s No Longer Wrestling For The Company