A popular WWE SmackDown star has reportedly been pulled from the SmackDown World Cup due to a “foot or ankle” injury.
The tournament, which started on November 11, will see eight participants take part in a bid to become the number one contender for the Intercontinental Championship.
The eight participants announced on SmackDown were Braun Strowman, Jinder Mahal (eliminated), Santos Escobar, Shinsuke Nakamura (eliminated), Sami Zayn, Butch, Ricochet and Mustafa Ali.
However, PWInsider had previously reported that Rey Mysterio was part of the lineup.
It’s now being reported that Mysterio will no longer be part of the tournament, having picked up an injury, and Ali was his replacement.
Dave Meltzer of Wrestling Observer has stated that:
“Rey Mysterio was scheduled for the World Cup but he had either a foot or an ankle injury and was replaced by Mustafa Ali.”
On Mysterio, Meltzer would go on to report that:
“He was in Indianapolis backstage with a walking boot on.
“He’s not expected to be out more than a few weeks but wasn’t going to be able to do the tournament.”
Mysterio hasn’t wrestled since the October 30 house show in Mexico City.
His match against Gunther on the November 4 episode of WWE SmackDown was recorded on October 28.
WrestleTalk wishes Rey Mysterio a healthy recovery.
Check out WrestleShop.com for all your favorite WrestleTalk merch, the WrestleTalk Magazine, wrestling shirts for grown-ups, and more!
- Huge Update On William Regal Joining WWE
- Major William Regal AEW Contract Update Amidst WWE Return Talks
- Report: Worrying Lack Of Fan Interest In WWE Survivor Series WarGames
- WWE Star Fires Shot At Kenny Omega
- Spoiler On Result Of Jeff Jarrett’s Second AEW Match
- Location For Future WWE Stadium Show Seemingly Revealed
- Real Reason Major Star Missed AEW Dynamite
- Backstage News On WWE’s Bonus Payments To Talent
- WWE Name Fired By The Company
- New WWE Role Pitched For Randy Orton