Sami Zayn has opened up about his Undisputed WWE Universal Championship match against Roman Reigns at Elimination Chamber.
The match would see Zayn in his hometown taking on Reigns in a match that he had considered his personal WrestleMania.
He has recently reflected on the match, which would see Reigns retain, while speaking to Xfinity, saying:
“It would have been kind of perfect, a storybook ending, if I had dethroned Roman. Sure, of course, but if you look at more five years from now, ten years from now, the totality of where it all lies, I think you will see that it is one great chapter, hopefully, in a story.
“For sure, unquestionably, whether it was the right or wrong decision, the way it ended, there is no question that had it gone my way that night in Montreal or at WrestleMania or something with Roman, unquestionably it would have been a moment that would have definitely been replayed many times.
“I still think what we did was very special and as you can see by what has continued to happen with The Usos and Roman, that story still has some special moments.
“This is one of those things where you just need time to see where it all falls.”
Zayn would go on to draw comparison between his loss to Reigns in his hometown and Brock Lesnar ending the streak at WrestleMania 30 in 2014, adding:
“I don’t know if this is a valid comparison, but it’s almost like when Brock (Lesnar) beat Undertaker and ended the streak. It was such a shocking moment that you kind of didn’t know what to make of it.
“I remember watching it live with Juice Robinson. He was so frazzled by it, ‘I need five years to know whether this was the right call or not.’
“It’s kind of true. You had to wait several years to see all the consequences and ripple effect of that moment. It took five years to see ‘this all goes back to do that.’
“Maybe it was chapter one, for me personally, in this huge story that is my quest to one day win the big one.”
Zayn may not have been able to defeat Roman Reigns, but he is currently one-half of the Undisputed WWE Tag Team Champions with Kevin Owens having defeated The Usos at WrestleMania 39.
Transcript from Fightful.
If you want to stay fully updated on all the latest wrestling news, click the red bell in the bottom right of your screen to receive notifications from WrestleTalk.com straight to your device!
- Scrapped Championship Win Plans For Released WWE Star Revealed
- John Cena, Cody Rhodes & More Announced For NXT Airing Against Edge’s AEW Debut Match
- Major Spoiler For Jade Cargill WWE Debut?
- Which WWE Brand Jade Cargill Is Expected To Debut On Revealed
- Update On Becky Lynch WWE Status
- Tony Khan Interested In Free Agent Rumored To Join AEW Or WWE
- Rhea Ripley Reacts To Dominik Mysterio Winning Back The NXT North American Championship
- WWE Star Says Jade Cargill Would Be A Good Fit For His Faction
- Dominik Mysterio Shares New Rhea Ripley Video After WWE Raw Ultimatum
- Trick Williams Breaks Silence After Title Loss To Dominik Mysterio