There were major changes made to last night’s (December 16) episode of WWE SmackDown.
The show went off the air with an in-ring segment featuring the Bloodline being interrupted by a John Cena video on the titantron.
Cena made the announcement that he would be the mystery tag team partner for Kevin Owens on the December 30 episode of the show.
Cena will team with Owens to take on the team of Roman Reigns and Sami Zayn.
While the match was made official, we never actually saw Owens appear on SmackDown, with Roman instead calling Adam Pearce to make the match official.
However, per Fightful Select (subscription required), Kevin Owens was originally intended to feature on last night’s show, as well as the tapings for the December 23 episode which took place after last night’s show.
Owens ultimately couldn’t make the show due to what WWE have said was a ‘nightmare travel situation.’
Due to this, Owens ended up being written out of the shows, with major production and writing changes being made to adjust accordingly.
Original plans called for Kevin Owens to go face-to-face with the Bloodline, and from there he would introduce the video of John Cena, which instead just cut off the Bloodline.
WWE is reportedly hoping to make the December 30 episode of SmackDown ‘must-see’, with Cena set to wrestle his first match of 2022 on the show.
Think you’re a wrestling mastermind? Well you can prove it by taking quizzes in our brand new quiz section! Don’t forget to tweet us your results!
- Ronda Rousey WWE Replacement Revealed
- AEW Star Teases WWE Return?
- Bray Wyatt SmackDown Status Amid WrestleMania Uncertainty
- WWE Star Reacts To Fans Believing They’d Be Buried Following Vince McMahon Departure
- Big Clue AEW Stars Are Heading To WWE?
- Mercedes Moné Hints At Potential Unfinished Business in WWE
- Cody Rhodes Reveals Special WrestleMania 39 T-Shirt
- Top WWE Star Hopes To Work With AEW Star On Screen
- Saraya Recruits Recent AEW Signees To The Outcasts?
- AEW Star Set For First Ever Televised Singles Match