Butch (fka Pete Dunne) has revealed when he learned that WWE planned to change his name ahead of his main roster debut.
‘Butch’ debuted his new name on the March 11 edition of SmackDown, aligning himself with with Sheamus & Ridge Holland.
Speaking on BBC’s Mark Andrews: My Love Letter to Wrestling podcast, Butch noted that while his official call-up was really fast, he felt like he was going to have his name changed after leaving NXT.
“I kind of had an idea of the fact that my NXT time might be coming to an end for a few weeks now. But in terms of the call up to SmackDown, and everything that came with it, that was really fast. It would have been the day before I was traveling, pretty much, starting to find bits and pieces out.
“But, yeah, I’ve known for a while that oh, really since the change in NXT, I’ve known that, ‘Okay, I’m probably going to the end of my spell at NXT.’ Especially in the last month or so, things have really amped up oh, you know, you start hearing things in that kind of stuff. but WrestleMania season, that adds to it oh, what a great time to be called up. I’m in the mix.”
You can read more of Butch’s thoughts on his controversial name change right here.
Another star that might have to undergo a name change is former Raw Tag Team Champion Chad Gable. Olympic and NCAA Champion Gable Steveson has discussed the likelihood of Chad Gable having to adopt a different ring name after he joins WWE full-time.
Stay up to date with WWE win/loss records for 2022 using our tracker at this link.
Transcription via Fightful.
- FTR Call Out Tony Khan To Book Them At NJPW Show
- UFC Hall Of Famer Daniel Cormier To Serve As Special Guest Referee At WWE Extreme Rules
- AEW Star Continues To Tease Departure On Social Media
- Big E Appears On FOX’s Big Noon Kickoff Show
- Ricky Steamboat Announces In-Ring Return With FTR
- Sheamus Details Drunken, Irish Origins Of WWE Stipulation To Gunther
- Update On Triple H Changing GUNTHER’s Ring Name
- WWE Stars Gets Married (Photo)
- Jury Comes To Decision In Randy Orton WWE 2K Tattoo Lawsuit
- WWE Reveals Lineup For Last Raw Before Extreme Rules (October 3)