A WWE star has detailed the drunken, Irish origins of a stipulation to Gunther.
The rivalry of Sheamus vs. Gunther has already delivered an instant classic at WWE Clash At The Castle and some electric crowd responses since.
The two men will have their highly anticipated rematch on the October 7 season premiere edition of SmackDown.
Also, Gunther will team with Ludvig Kaiser and Giovanni Vinci of Imperium to face Sheamus, Butch and Ridge Holland of The Brawling Brutes in a Six-Man Tag Team Good Old Fashioned Donnybrook Match at Extreme Rules on October 8.
After WWE released the poster for the Extreme Rules bout, Intercontinental Champion Gunther replied to the stipulation with “Donny… what?”.
In response to Gunther, Sheamus gave The Ring General a full origin for a “donnybrook”.
The word donnybrook is derived from a public fair that was held in Donnybrook, Ireland beginning in the 1200s. By the 1800s, the Donnybrook Fair has a reputation of being a drunken, wild event that was finally ended in the mid-1800s.
The first Good Old Fashioned Donnybrook Match took place on the July 29 edition of SmackDown where Drew McIntyre defeated Sheamus.
For the full lineup for Extreme Rules, click here.
Stay up to date with the WWE roster’s win-loss record in 2022 (for televised matches) at this link.
— Sheamus (@WWESheamus) September 29, 2022
Check out WrestleShop.com for all your favorite WrestleTalk merch, the WrestleTalk Magazine, wrestling shirts for grown-ups, and more!
- Matt Riddle Released By WWE
- Released WWE Star Reveals New Name?
- Planned AEW PPV Match ‘In Jeopardy’
- WWE Higher-Up Addresses Matt Riddle Being Released
- John Cena Match Set For September 22 WWE SmackDown
- WWE Official Comments On Recent Releases
- Major LA Knight SmackDown Plans Pulled Due To COVID-19
- Possible Reason For Mustafa Ali Sudden WWE Release Revealed?
- The Miz Comments On Dolph Ziggler WWE Release
- Released WWE Star ‘Promises To Keep Going’ Following Release