At WrestleMania 36, Becky Lynch defeated Shayna Baszler to retain her Raw Women’s Championship in a short, albeit hard-hitting encounter.
Many people expected Baszler to retain the title on the ‘grandest stage of them all’, but WWE instead decided to have ‘The Man’ retain her belt.
That was actually the last match that Becky had. A month after ‘Mania, Becky vacated her title before announcing that she and Seth Rollins were expecting their first child together.
Becky has since revealed during an appearance on The Bella Twins’ podcast that she actually pitched to lose her title at Shayna at WrestleMania, but WWE rejected it and had her retain.
Becky revealed that she thought she was going to drop the title at ‘Mania like many fans did, and stated that she actually pitched losing the title to higher-ups:
“I knew I wanted to try and have a baby before 35, then I met [Seth Rollins] and was like, ‘Perfect, this is my person.’ This was always the plan. Originally, I was like, ‘I’ll wait until I’m done wrestling, then I’ll have a family.’ Then I started thinking, ‘Why do I have to do that? Guys don’t have to do that. Hell, I’ll just do it whenever the time feels right.’ We started trying and I thought it would take a long time, and it didn’t, we were super lucky. It happened before I would have expected and I was still champ at the time. I actually thought I was going to lose the title at WrestleMania, which I also pitched, but that was the end of it. Plans change.”
Speaking of pitches, Becky revealed that she also suggested a number one contenders tournament to take place where the winner would actually win the Raw Women’s Championship.
WWE decided to go with a similar idea, where Asuka thought she won Money in the Bank but actually won the Raw Women’s Championship instead:
“I was like, ‘is there a way she can beat me real quick?’ [Seth] is like, ‘No! You’re not, no.’ ‘Yeah, you’re right.’ We talked a lot and decided, what if there’s a tournament for the number one contendership and they don’t know they’re actually competing for the title. Right as they go to have the last match, I tell them it’s for the title, but Money in the Bank was happening at the same time but it was too confusing to merge the two so they decided to do the Money in the Bank ladder match and have that as the title match without them knowing.”
Thanks to Fightful for the transcription.
- Jey Uso Breaks His Silence After Jimmy Uso Betrays Roman Reigns At Night Of Champions 2023
- PHOTO: WWE Star Buys His Mother A House
- Possible Injury During AEW Double Or Nothing 2023
- Shock Title Change After Suprise Return At AEW Double Or Nothing 2023
- VIDEO: Savage WWE Star Namedrop During Max Caster Rap At AEW Double Or Nothing 2023
- Major Heel Turn Ends AEW Double Or Nothing 2023
- Big Change For AEW Double Or Nothing Setup
- VIDEO: What Tiffany Stratton Said To Shawn Michaels Backstage After NXT Women’s Title Win
- Details On ‘Mandatory’ AEW Backstage Meeting About ‘Dirt Sheets’ Revealed
- Sammy Guevara Shares Touching Post Ahead Of AEW Double Or Nothing Main Event