The Undertaker has been a very heavily discussed topic lately, and that includes amongst current WWE stars like Seth Rollins.
Rollins spoke about the ‘Deadman’ on the latest episode of After The Bell, and suggested that the gimmick wouldn’t work if it was debuted today.
The two-time Universal Champion said:
“The smart thing about this with Taker is, he did it at the right time in his career. 12-year-old you, if you had seen The Last Ride, it would have ruined everything. But we didn’t have that and he wasn’t in the prime of his career. His character doesn’t work today. There are some weird exceptions, Bray Wyatt comes to mind from an ultra-character perspective who sort of slides by a little bit or gets a pass. The Undertaker character is so supernatural, so now that he’s at this point in his life where he is comfortable transitioning out of the character and into Mark Calaway, it makes it okay for me to watch it and see him being a human being. In the long run, I think it will help him transition into being himself and retirement and whatever the next phase of The Undertaker looks like.”
The Last Ride series continues with the third of five episodes being released on the WWE Network today. It really has been compelling viewing so far.
“He did it cleverly. It wasn’t, one day he’s The Deadman; the next day, here’s The Last Ride. He used the story with AJ Styles to lead him into this place where he’s at and he can be The Undertaker on social media too.”
Thanks to Fightful for the quotes
- Ronda Rousey WWE Replacement Revealed
- Bray Wyatt SmackDown Status Amid WrestleMania Uncertainty
- Big Clue AEW Stars Are Heading To WWE?
- Saraya Recruits Recent AEW Signees To The Outcasts?
- Konnan Picks Winner of Dominik vs Rey Mysterio WrestleMania Match
- AEW Star Set For First Ever Televised Singles Match
- Update On Rumored WWE Releases/Cuts
- Latest WWE Celebrity Hall Of Fame Inductee Confirmed
- WWE Hall Of Famer To Appear On WWE Programming The Night Before WrestleMania?
- Former WWE Star To Return On The Raw After WrestleMania?