A few months ago, it was reported that WWE was planning on having the Rated-R Superstar go one-on-one with Randy Orton in an I Quit match at WrestleMania 37 next year. However, that may no longer be the plan.
It was also noted that Edge and Orton were supposed to have complete their trilogy at SummerSlam. However, when Edge wad injured back in June at Backlash, WWE had Orton challenge Drew McIntyre for the WWE Championship at the show instead.
Taking to the latest Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Dave Meltzer is reporting that while Edge vs. Orton was the planned WrestleMania 37 main event, that match isn’t 100% finalised as of right now:
At one point WrestleMania was to be headlined by Orton vs. Edge in an I Quit match. It was not a lock that Orton would be champion, but it was something under discussion. At last word there was no longer a 100 percent clear main event direction for the show. If Orton is going to win the title, then Lee should beat him here to set up Orton vs. Lee title matches, since they have no other babyfaces ready for Orton with the way they’ve booked Mysterio and Owens (who Orton beat on TV) and with Black turning.
Of course, we still have eight months until WrestleMania 37, so WWE has a lot of time to build some new stars and hopefully finalise their plans for the main event of the big PPV.
- Released WWE Star Claims One Person Had ‘Weird Grudge’ Against Him, Vince McMahon’s Departure ‘Killed’ His Career
- Released WWE Star Reveals They Requested Their Release
- Matt Riddle Next Move After WWE Release Revealed?
- Another Big Sign WWE Thinks Highly Of LA Knight
- WWE Star Reacts To Tag Team Partner Being Released
- Top NXT Star Expected For September 25 WWE Raw
- Update On New WWE Ring Name Fans Speculated Was For Jade Cargill
- Ex-WWE Star To Make In-Ring Return After Five Years Away
- SPOILER: AEW Star Captures Championship Title
- Exciting Prospect Rumored To Join WWE Or AEW