Saturday’s (March 26) New Japan Cup semi-final match between Zack Sabre Jr and Shingo Takagi was awarded a five star rating in the latest edition of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter.
The match ended with Zack Sabre Jr choking Takagi unconscious to advance to the final of the tournament. Dave Meltzer praised the bout for the unexpected final sequence.
The bout marked Takagi’s first singles loss since losing the IWGP World Heavyweight Champion to Kazuchika Okada at Wrestle Kingdom 16 in January.
Sabre ultimately won the New Japan Cup tournament, defeating Tetsuya Naito in the finals. Overall, the British star scored victories over Ryohei Oiwa, Douki, Great-O-Khan, Will Ospreay, Takagi and Naito to lift the trophy.
Sabre will challenge for Okada’s IWGP World Heavyweight Title at Hyper Battle on April 9.
Check out our list of every 5+ star rated match of 2022 at this link.
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- Ronda Rousey WWE Replacement Revealed
- Big Clue AEW Stars Are Heading To WWE?
- Former WWE Star To Return On The Raw After WrestleMania?
- Latest WWE Celebrity Hall Of Fame Inductee Confirmed
- Saraya Recruits Recent AEW Signees To The Outcasts?
- Update On Rumored WWE Releases/Cuts
- Report: WWE Having ‘Larger Conversation’ About Wrestler Safety
- Update On Current Champion WWE Has Legitimate Concerns About
- Unseen AEW Matches Coming Soon?
- AEW World Champion MJF Set For Surprising Indie Appearance