Kenny Omega has grown into one of the world’s all-around best wrestlers in recent years. He rose to superstardom in New Japan Pro Wrestling and currently finds himself in All Elite Wrestling.
Omega has had more classic matches than you can count over the last few years but we thought we would compile the ten matches you absolutely must watch from his career. Keep in mind this is not a list of his ten best matches but rather which ones you have to watch.
With that out of the way let’s begin.
10. Kenny Omega vs. Tomohiro Ishii – G1 Climax 28 Day 14
While most of the matches on this list come from major events like Wrestle Kingdom or Dominion, this one is from the middle of the 2018 G1 Climax. Kenny Omega had recently become the IWGP Heavyweight Champion and was riding very high through his first six G1 Climax matches. He had four matches in this tournament rated at least five stars and this was one of them.
Tomohiro Ishii is one of the most reliable people on the planet when it comes to having top-notch matches. This was no exception. Ishii vs. Omega was not a perfect match as some things were messy early but by the end, it didn’t matter. This was an ugly fight in the best way and it was made so much better by Kevin Kelly’s commentary. Ishii was able to overcome Omega and hand him his first loss of the tournament in one of 2018’s best matches.
9. Golden Lovers vs. The Young Bucks – Strong Style Evolved
If you want an example of how great the Golden Lovers and the Young Bucks both are, this is the match to watch. Kenny Omega and Kota Ibushi had reunited earlier in 2018 and it caused Bullet Club to become fractured. The most emotional rift in the group was between Omega and the Young Bucks. What resulted was one of the most emotional matches of the year.
Omega and Ibushi didn’t have the extended run as partners during this last run that would propel them up the ranks but the matches they had were all classics. This was the perfect example. It had drama, incredible moves, emotion, and a hot crowd. Anyone who says these four individuals are all spots and no storytelling clearly didn’t watch this match.
8. Kenny Omega vs. Tetsuya Naito – G1 Climax 27 Final
Kenny Omega and Tetsuya Naito wrestled in three consecutive G1 Climaxes. All three of those matches could have made this list but their G1 Climax Final match from 2017 takes the cake. Omega and Naito had both had grueling matches against Kazuchika Okada and Hiroshi Tanahashi in the previous two nights but busted out all the stops for this match.
Omega was gaining popularity but was still technically a heel at this point. This meant that he could still show off his arrogant and spiteful side in this match. This match borders on dangerous as there were insane moments such as Naito getting DDT’ed into the ring post. Regardless of the danger, the people were into it. Many thought Omega would win and challenge Okada at Wrestle Kingdom 12 but it was not to be. This was Naito’s moment but together they capped off an incredible G1 Climax.
- Drew McIntyre & Kevin Owens Brand Themselves ‘Wrestlers In A Wrestling Ring’ In Insane WWE Raw Promo
- Record Numbers For WrestleMania 39 Ticket Sales
- Hikaru Shida Bringing Championship Back To AEW From Japan
- AEW Stars Planned For NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 17
- WWE Backstage Budget Cuts Having Big Effect
- Real Reason For Big Increase In AEW Rampage Viewership
- Freddie Prinze Jr. Says Vince McMahon Displayed ‘Super Racist’ ‘Cultural Ignorance’ That Dictated Storylines
- Dexter Lumis Jumps The Barricade During United States Championship Clash
- Stephanie McMahon Addresses Return From Leave Of Absence
- Jade Cargill Makes History With AEW: Fight Forever Cover