Kenny Omega has revealed why he returned to New Japan Pro Wrestling.
At NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 17, Kenny Omega made his triumph return to the promotion that he truly became a star and defeated Will Ospreay to win the IWGP United States Championship.
This marked Omega’s first time back to New Japan since leaving the promotion following Wrestle Kingdom 13 in 2019 and going on to help form All Elite Wrestling.
In a new interview with TSN, Omega revealed why he returned to NJPW. He said:
“I sort of left the company in a state of needing people to fill my shows. I had assumed a lot of responsibility within that promotion.”
“I had pretty much wrestled in most, if not all, of the big matches on my way out of the door with New Japan. And I knew that if I had left, the last thing I would want was for the company to be in a bad position with someone not ready to assume that main event role.”
When the former AEW World Champion left NJPW in 2019, he believed Will Ospreay and Jay White would be able to take over the mantle of top international star in the company. However, Omega now feels that neither man were able to fill his shoes and move the company forward.
Revealing that this was the reason why he had to return to his former promotion, Omega said:
“I just sort of felt like they weren’t doing enough… And maybe they needed a trial by fire and to see, by example, one more time just what it is I’m asking them, what is required from them, to be the face of a company.”
Kenny Omega will defend the IWGP United States Championship against Will Ospreay at AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door on Sunday, June 25. For the full lineup for the event, click here.
Transcription via Wrestling Inc.
If you want to stay fully updated on all the latest wrestling news, click the red bell in the bottom right of your screen to receive notifications from WrestleTalk.com straight to your device!
- WWE Announces Drew McIntyre’s Next Move After Releasing Matt Riddle
- NXT Star Works Another WWE Main Roster Show Amid Call-Up Rumors
- WWE Name Claims Dolph Ziggler ‘Didn’t Change With The Times’ Before Being Released
- Christian Cage Wins TNT Championship On AEW Collision & First Defense Revealed
- Update On WWE Star Missing From SmackDown
- Anoa’i Family Member Pitches Two New Members Of The Bloodline
- WWE Star Claims He Was Released Due To ‘Backstage Political Power Play’
- Top Dolla Addresses WWE Future Of Hit Row Teammates After His Release
- Current WWE Name Thinks One Released Star May ‘Find His Way Back’ To WWE
- WWE Star Thanks The Wyatt Family For Inspiring Them To Get Into Wrestling