WWE wants to sign an AEW star, there has been a new AEW signing, more big names will likely miss the Royal Rumble, Elimination Chamber plans have been revealed, and William Regal has been offered a new job.
You can listen to today’s quickfire audio bulletin here:
It’s time for a super-sized edition of the WrestleTalk.com Audio News Bulletin, because we didn’t do one on Wednesday morning (actually we did, but oh well), or Thursday morning, or Friday morning, and it’s now Friday afternoon.
So there’s a lot to catch up on, we’re gonna get through the major stories, be sure to browse the website for plenty of other bits and pieces, I’m Liam Winnard for WrestleTalk.com, and let’s get on with this this thing.
WWE Wants Wardlow
Wardlow had possibly his biggest match to date this past Wednesday when he took on CM Punk on AEW Dynamite, but that’s not the only reason he was in the news this week.
Earlier that very same day, WrestleVotes reported that “WWE will be extremely interested in luring Wardlow away from AEW when his contract is due. There are several people within World Wrestling Entertainment that LOVE his potential”, also adding that WWE will “100%” make a play for him.
WWE may want Wardlow, but it sounds like the feeling isn’t mutual, because in an interview with PWInsider that came out before that report, Wardlow said he plans to stay in AEW forever.
During Dynamite, Wardlow dominated CM Punk, but lost via roll-up due to MJF giving him instructions to injure Punk rather than just letting him concentrate on winning the match, which led to a very tense confrontation between Wardlow and MJF.
AEW Signs Brody King
In other noteworthy news from Dynamite, we saw the debut of new signing Brody King, who aligned himself with Malakai Black in attacking the Varsity Blonds.
King and Black are known together as the Kings of the Black Throne in PWG, and are the current PWG World Tag Team Champions.
AEW confirmed on social media that Brody King has signed with the promotion, and it wasn’t just a one-off appearance.
Big Names To Miss Royal Rumble
There are several big names in WWE who are currently injured and look likely to miss the Royal Rumble in just over two weeks, and two stars have been added to that list in the last couple of days.
The first is Drew McIntyre, who was written off WWE TV at Day 1 to recover from neck issues. Dave Meltzer reported in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter that McIntyre is expected to miss Royal Rumble, but is hoping to be back for WrestleMania.
Another on the injured list is King Woods, who announced he’s likely to be out of action for 4-6 weeks, which means he’ll likely miss the Rumble too.
Elimination Chamber Plans
There was no Elimination Chamber pay-per-view announced for this year, but plans have now emerged, confirming that the match will be making its return very soon.
As reported by Fightful Select, WWE is planning for the Elimination Chamber to take place in Saudi Arabia on February 19.
There’s no word on whether the show will actually be named Elimination Chamber, but the plan is to take the concept over there for the Saudi show.
William Regal Job Offer
William Regal may have been the most shocking name released from NXT, and it’s no wonder that he’s already a sought-after commodity.
Tommy Dreamer revealed on Busted Open Radio this week that he sent Regal a text message with an invitation to work at IMPACT Wrestling if he so desires.
“The moment I heard, I shot him a text and said, ‘If you want to be a commentator at IMPACT or if you want to be a General Manager figure, just let me know’.”
In some quickfire little bits of news…
Billy Gunn filed to trademark New Age Outlaws, leading to rumours he could reunite with Road Dogg in AEW following Road Dogg’s release from NXT.
Fightful Select reported that Corey Graves was medically cleared by WWE in 2021 and taken off the company’s “no contact” list, meaning an in-ring return is at least more likely than it was previously.
WWE Hall of Famer Tammy Sytch, known as Sunny, was arrested for two charges of illegaly possessing a weapon, and one charge of making terroristic threats.
IMPACT World Champion Moose revealed that he had offers from both WWE and AEW before he decided to re-sign with IMPACT.