An AEW star has claimed that John Cena refused to lose to him when it came to cashing in the Money in the Bank briefcase.
Jack Swagger (AEW’s Jake Hager) had won the briefcase during the Money in the Bank Ladder Match at WrestleMania XXVI in 2010.
There was a tease, on the following night’s episode of WWE Raw, that Swagger would cash in on John Cena, the newly crowned WWE Champion, but that tease would lead nowhere, according to Hager.
Speaking on the Talk is Jericho podcast, Hager explained that:
“The night before [Hager’s cash-in on Chris Jericho], I teased it on Raw where I would almost hit Cena with the briefcase.
“I snuck up on him and then we had one of his brilliant promo segments.
“Later come find out he refused to do the job for me for the World Championship, but we won’t talk about that.”
Swagger would cash in on Jericho during a SmackDown taping in April 2010, defeating him and becoming the World Heavyweight Champion.
He would lose the championship to Rey Mysterio at WWE Fatal 4-Way on June 20 2010 in a match that also featured Big Show and CM Punk.
Transcript from Inside the Ropes.
Check out WrestleShop.com for all your favorite WrestleTalk merch, the WrestleTalk Magazine, wrestling shirts for grown-ups, and more!
- ‘A Lot’ Of AEW Talent Questioning Tony Khan’s Booking
- Real Reason Roman Reigns & Kevin Owens May Still Have Backstage Heat
- Update On ‘Talks Behind-The-Scenes’ Of The Rock Returning At WWE Royal Rumble 2023
- Update On CM Punk AEW Contract & Release Status
- Scrapped Plans On Other Ways To Write William Regal Off AEW TV
- Injured WWE Star Cleared For Return
- Likely Reason William Regal Is Already Returning To WWE
- Rumor Killer On WWE Name Leaving The Company
- Released WWE Star Returns On SmackDown
- Huge Update On CM Punk’s Status For AEW Video Game ‘Fight Forever’