WWE Hall of Famer Lita was announced as a participant in the 2022 Women’s Royal Rumble match on last week’s (January 7) episode of SmackDown, and physically appeared on the show last night for the first time in nearly 20 years.
The 2022 Women’s Royal Rumble will be Lita’s fourth match since she retired at Survivor Series in 2006, however, she could have been set for more just last year, outside of WWE.
Fightful Select (subscription required) is reporting that Lita held talks with All Elite Wrestling (AEW) last year to appear on the show, but the two sides couldn’t reach an agreement.
Namely, AEW planned for Lita to be involved in a top storyline with AEW Women’s World Champion Britt Baker, around the time of the 2021 All Out pay-per-view, but ultimately it didn’t end up happening.
Sources that Fightful spoke to noted the talks between the two ended on a positive note, and they would be open to doing business in the future. WWE sources noted to Fightful that, despite her past injuries, Lita has not been on WWE’s ‘no contact’ list for over four years.
WWE also announced that current IMPACT Knockouts Champion Mickie James will be a part of the Women’s Royal Rumble this year. Mickie detailed exactly how her appearance in the match came to be. You can see a full list of announced 2022 Royal Rumble entrants here.
- AEW Dynamite Live Results – May 18, 2022
- Bryan Danielson AEW Rampage Injury A Work?
- Ember Moon Seemingly Ruled Out As AEW Joker
- Update On Sasha Banks WWE Backstage Heat
- Johnny Elite Debuts On AEW Dynamite In Owen Cup
- Major Kenny Omega AEW Update
- Huge Announcement Regarding Roman Reigns WWE Future
- Fans Excited As AJ Lee Potentially Teases In-Ring Return
- AEW Rampage Spoilers As Another Former WWE Star Debuts
- Chris Jericho & William Regal Set Up Huge Match For AEW Double Or Nothing