Earlier in the week, WrestleTalk reported that former MMA stars and two of the UFC Four Horsewomen Marina Shafir and Jessamyn Duke were due to make their NXT debut at last night’s live event from Largo, Florida.
For reasons as yet unknown, only the soon-to-be Mrs. Roderick Strong, Shafir, was present on the show with no sign of Duke. Despite her questionable ring apparel which gives off the impression that she’s off to the gym rather than the ring – one would have thought she’d have gotten tips from pals Baszler and Rousey – all reports suggest she held her own in a decent showing. Obviously, we’ll need to see more of her before a proper opinion can be formed.
Marina Shafir teamed with the outgoing Nikki Cross to best Mae Young Classic competitor Rhea Ripley and the overtly expendable Aliyah. Needless to say, the former MMA star got the undisputed win – see what I did there? Someone retrieve that haybale that rolled across the background – by submitting the latter with an armbar.
Both Shafir and Duke only penned development contracts with WWE in May. Their promotion to the NXT roster seems a little hasty.
In results from the rest of the show held in front of 250 fans:
- Raul Mendoza smashed Tian Bing
- Reina Gonzalez went over Xia Li
- Eh Nois (Adrian Jaoude and Cezar Bononi) triumphed over Jeet Rama and Rinku Singh
- Babatunde Aiyegbusi demolished Dan Matha
- Dominik Dijakovic cracked Fabian Aichner in the match of the night. For the record, what a terrible name they’ve given Dijak
- Wesley Blake rolled over Mars Wang
- War Raiders took apart Steve Cutler and Jaxson Ryker