Dave Meltzer has awarded his much sought-after five-star rating for the eight time this year in the latest edition of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter.
Meltzer gave the rating to the Will Ospreay vs. Dragon Lee match at NJPW Dominion, in which the Brit defeated Lee to capture the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title just days after winning the Best of the Super Juniors tournament.
This marks the third time this year (actually in the past few weeks) that Ospreay has been awarded five stars by Meltzer. His bout with Bandido in the BOTSJ tournament also received five stars and his final outing with Shingo Takagi was given a monster 5.75 stars!
Meltzer recently called Ospreay the best wrestler in the world and said he had surpassed even Kazuchika Okada, and he was full of praise for him again in the match report:
“Not only has Ospreay been the best performer in the world for the past several weeks, but New Japan is presenting him as a landmark junior heavyweight, breaking Takagi’s streak, winning the title as well as being a contender for every heavyweight. Okada even said he wanted to be in the same block with Ospreay in G-1.”
The matches Meltzer has awarded five stars (or above) to in 2019 are as follows:
- Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kenny Omega (5.75 stars)
- Will Ospreay vs. Shingo Takagi (5.75 stars)
- Johnny Gargano vs. Adam Cole #1 (5.5 stars)
- Johnny Gargano vs. Adam Cole #2 (5.25 stars)
- Kazuchika Okada vs. SANADA (5 stars)
- Cody vs. Dustin Rhodes (5 stars)
- Will Ospreay vs. Bandido (5 stars)
- Will Ospreay vs. Dragon Lee (5 stars)